Fit Bit Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CastleHollow

Reaction score
I got one of these devices in December, and maybe I'm not completely efficient about my brew process, but I average about 8000 steps during a typical brew session. Brewing is healthy exercise!

Damn really? I should get one. I could track miles via mapmyfitness+ but steps makes more sense in an isolated area. I always felt like I got a decent workout between lifting, walking back and forth and such. Enough to warrant a beer or three. :)

As a fitness professional I really hate these things. I'd like to use one for a day to track my movement but in the end most people I've dealt with that have these use them as a justification to eat crap they shouldn't be eating.

That being said, brewing is a very healthy exercise for me as well. Lifting heavy thing, carry buckets of water, tending to a boil for an hour, rushing around back inside and out getting hops, lifting and pressing the grain bag, etc.

3-4 hours of constant activity.

As a fitness professional I really hate these things. I'd like to use one for a day to track my movement but in the end most people I've dealt with that have these use them as a justification to eat crap they shouldn't be eating.

That being said, brewing is a very healthy exercise for me as well. Lifting heavy thing, carry buckets of water, tending to a boil for an hour, rushing around back inside and out getting hops, lifting and pressing the grain bag, etc.

3-4 hours of constant activity.

I was mildly kidding about justifying my drinking. Just so you know. I'm on the other end of the spectrum of fitness but I don't think I've every seriously thought that my activity during the day justified the crap I eat...unless it puts me at a calorie deficit. Which has happened.

The one benefit I have seen with these things is it tracks your sleep. If it's accurate or not I don't know, but with a little research you can really improve quality sleep. Sorry off topic..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Really? I have one and I know two people at work who also wear one. And while I don't exactly have a rigid diet or exercise regimen, it does serve quite well as a constant reminder that I'm trying to do better. I have the Force so I can check my step count without pulling out my iphone. While I haven't used it to justify one more serving of dinner, or a couple more beers, I have used it to justify eating smaller portions because I haven't been as active as I should have. And the people I work with have largely used it the same.

And on that note, I really should use the food diary feature on it. But I just find it so cumbersome and I really hate being that rigidly in control over something like that.

If you want to use a food diary, try Myfitnesspal. It is the best, I use it every day. I weigh all of my food to make myself accountable. You'd be amazed at what weighing in grams will do to your diet. Sticking to serving sizes saves you calories and (A LOT) of money. You'd be amazed how long a jar of peanut butter will last you if you stick to 32g servings.

You are probably one of those people that uses a Fit Bit for good and not their own detriment. "I walked 5000 steps extra today I'm going to have some ice cream".

Dangerous territory haha.

Back