First Yeast Starter...Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk21

Reaction score
So one of these batches I'm going to kick it up a notch and make a yeast starter. I just want to make sure that I have this down before I do.

1) Use a calculator to determine what size starter
2) Measure proper amount of water and DME
3) Boil for 5-10 minutes
4) Cover w/ sanitized lid and put in ice bath till cool to touch
5) Pour into sanitized flask either directly or w/ sanitized funnel
6) Pitch sanitized yeast packet
7) Cover with sanitized aluminum foil
8) Shake it up well and give it a shake regularly when I walk by

Does this sound good? My only questions are 1)after the ice bath, is the lip of the pot still considered sanitary enough? I'm assuming yes, provided it wasn't touched by the ice (or anything else) and that any moisture on the bottom of the pot won't end up in the flask. 2)When pitching, does the lip of the flask need to be sanitized? If so, what method do you recommend? It seems like spraying star san would have the potential to add a good bit of overspray to the starter.

Thanks for your help!

Remember that a yeast starter is just a miniature beer. Every step you would take in regards to sanitizing surfaces for a regular brew is the same for a starter.

I do mine similar to the process you described however I just use an airlock and I aerate before pitching. I dry the bottom of the pot after removing it from the ice bath then sanitize it with a paper towel or rag soaked in star san.

The flask I am using was already sitting in my star san bucket so the lip is already sanitized.

Also, star san will not hurt your starter.

Buy or make a stirplate when you get the time/funds. Good luck.

yep, sounds good! One tiny investment that goes a long way for me is to buy a $.99 small pump spray bottle (the kind you find in the travel supplies aisle at Target) and fill it with rubbing alcohol. Its perfect for sanitizing the lip of something or really anytime where you need a quick spray just for peace of mind when something was "maybe sorta" compromised. I tend to use this for my rubber stoppers and airlock right before I attach them, and for making starters I will often use them to sanitize the pouring side of the small pan I used to heat up the starter. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back