First Wort Hopping with English Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I would like to try First Wort Hopping, but since I do an English sparge (takes only 10 minutes) I wouldn't really get much out of it. So I'm wondering if I can just add the hops to the mash instead?

Is the procedure for FWH to add them to the sparge because it's the right amount of time they need, or is there some other reason? If it's just an issue of time, the mash takes just about as long as a normal sparge, right? So what if I added my FWH to the mash, then did my 10 minute sparge and removed the hops with the grains (or should the hops not be removed?)? Would that work?

I would think you'd be okay with the quick sparge. The hops should have enough time to steep as you bring the wort up to boil.

What's an English sparge? I could Google or Bing it but...I figure let's see from home brewer's forum?! If it's 'quick sparge', kind of thinking batch sparge or no sparge or something.

Or maybe (just occured to me), mash enough for 5 gallons or whatever your batch size is, and that's it?

What's an English sparge? I could Google or Bing it but...I figure let's see from home brewer's forum?! If it's 'quick sparge', kind of thinking batch sparge or no sparge or something.

english sparge is when you batch sparge, but let it sit for a while before draining it. mash, drain, pour in the sparge water, let it sit for a while, then drain, as opposed to regular batch sparge. that's when you mash, drain, pour in the sparge water, and immediately drain. almost everyone who batch-sparges really english-sparges

Yeah, that's right. Instead of continuous slow running. I drain, then fill with (only 1.5 gallons) water, let sit, then drain again.

It looks like if I put my hops in the mash it'll work.

Okay. Thanks. I guess I English sparge. I mash, drain. Add sparge water, sit 10 minutes or so after stirring, drain.

Latest posts

Back