First "whipped together" recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfk69

Reaction score
Okay, this is my first pale ale attempt. I used Beersmith for this, and made both an LME and DME version. I realize this is "vanilla", but am I way off base, or will this make a decent APA? Other than ABV (on higher end), and color (on darker end), am I missing anything? Any concerns about hop choices, bitterness, etc? Thanks in advance!

Type: Extract Date: 7/12/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer:
Boil Size: 2.30 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot ( 3 Gal/11.4 L) - Extract
End of Boil Volume 2.08 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal Est Mash Efficiency 0.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
5 lbs Light Dry Extract Dry Extract
1 lbs Corn Sugar
1.00 oz Columbus Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 28.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 8.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American 05

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.008 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 37.1 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz

Thanks for the response Yooper. Sometime when I'm in the UP for work I'd be happy to buy you and your hubby a beer. I get to Escanaba occasionally, how far is it for you to the Hereford and Hops?

Thanks for the response Yooper. Sometime when I'm in the UP for work I'd be happy to buy you and your hubby a beer. I get to Escanaba occasionally, how far is it for you to the Hereford and Hops?

Unfortunately, it's 120 miles one way to Escanaba for us. Otherwise, we would so take you up on that!

I dont understand beersmith very well, as Ive just started using it but I am confused about your actual ABV and estimated abv?

Actual ABV means nothing until you actually measure OG and FG. The default numbers that were already in the OP's program spit that out in the report.

1 oz Columbus packs a punch. If you're looking for a less bitter beer might want to lighten the amount. I for one like bitter so this recipe looks good to me :)

Looks good, the finishing touch would be to dry-hop with a couple oz of the Cascades. It can be as simple as just dumping them in the bucket for 5-7 days after primary is done (that's all I do).

Latest posts

Back