First Timer Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first batch last night! I learned a lot after I had it all sealed in the fermenter. It was a Autumn Amber Ale extract kit. After my boil I used a chiller and had it down to 80 degrees in about 10 minutes. After chilling and putting it in the fermenter I topped it off with about two gallons of cold water from my kitchen sprayer to aerate. I took a SG reading that was 1.064 and pitched my yeast. I used Muntons yeast. I put it in dry and it was all sitting on top of the foam I created so I gave it a gentle stir to get it in to the liquid and off the foam. Wort temp was 65 degrees at this time. I sanitized my bucket, cover, airlock, thief, thermometer and yeast package. I was a bit manic about since it seems that it is the one thing that will ruin your brew. This morning I woke up to a occasionally bubbling air lock. It's afternoon it was aggressively bubbling. This evening 24 hrs into fermenting it has completely stopped. Is that normal or not? I have found a few things that were a bit off for my first time. After aeration with the hose I didn't give it a good stir before taking a sample, when I filled I only went to about 4.75 gallons, andI may be overreacting about the yeast stoping. Is it the type and way that I pitched it? Most info I have found says don't worry and take another sample to see how things are going. 24 hrs seems a bit early to be doing that. Thanks for your help!

It's actually quite common for the "aggressive" phase of fermentation to stop pretty quickly. Just leave it in the bucket for the next 3 weeks and then take a peek. All should be well. There will be things going on that don't necessarily make any bubbles..

Relax... Everything is fine. How long do you sit and watch the airlock for bubbles? Airlock activity is not an end all indicator of fermentation. My first batch was almost the same. Bubbled hard for about 24 hours then it died. turns out it was over a minute between bubbles. Remember that most of the primary fermentation is done in the first 12-36 hours. RDWHAHB... (Relax don't worry, have a Homebrew) The only way to see if it is done is to take two samples about a day apart. if the reading is the same you are good to go. Wait a full two weeks then take your first sample. I always wait for 3 weeks before touching it. Patience is the key... You little yeasties are working. The more you poke, prod, and sample, the greater the risk of infection.

All will be well. And congrats on the brew!!!

Latest posts

Back