First Time with Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinCT

Reaction score
Previously used SafeAle-05 with pretty good results in my AG red ale. Trying Notty just for comparison. I am impressed so far. Tossed the yeast into wort at 1.052 on Sunday. On Wenesday evening it is 1.010. SafeAle seemed to quit around 1.015. Of course the proof is in the taste and that will be 6 to 8 weeks from now.

I like US-04 and Nottingham. Nottingham seems to leave less esters when its fermented at a higher temp (Upper 60's) as compared to Safale.

Nottingham and US-04 are similar. US-05 is more of an english style yeast. I compare all three to 1056. More of an all around neutral American yeast.

Nottingham and US-04 are similar. US-05 is more of an english style yeast. I compare all three to 1056. More of an all around neutral American yeast.

I think you got it backwards here.....

US-04 and notty are dry english ale....US-05 is dry 1056/wlp001

This guy's got a wealth of knowledge on the subject:

... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy's got a wealth of knowledge on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvL7zryNCug&feature=player_embedded

... Sorry, couldn't resist.

181148-triple_facepalm_super.jpg

Oh no not again. Can we somehow get all his crap deleted from the interwebz?

Come on, the Take Some Advice videos are the closest thing the home brew community has to a MEME. I say we embrace it.

Latest posts

Back