first time stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaRooster

Reaction score
First time using a stir plate to harvest some yeast from a bottle of sierra Nevada pale ale. How fast should I be spinning the stir magnet?

IMO, as long as its spinning fast enough to keep the yeast in suspension and slow enough not to throw the bar, its good.

Thanks Snicks, it worked out fine using your advice. I was able to grow a nice healthy, creamy batch of yeast to build a starter with, from sierra nevada pale ale sediment.

1. Let the bottles chill for 1 week in fridge
2. Spray top with star-san and open
3. Pour into glass leaving about 1 inch of beer in the bottom
4. Spray bottle mouth and top with star-san and reseal
5. Repeat except I kept consolidating the new left overs into the original saved bottle, recapping every time. Once I had six bottles collected I focused on the growing. I noted that there was barely 1/2 a dimes worth of sediment in the harvested bottle.

1. Made a DME solution measuring 1.024 original gravity, with a volume of 1.2 liters
2. Uncapped harvested beer sanitized and poured of as much as possible with out disturbing the sediment
3. Added some of the prepared starter wort into the harvest bottle which has been brought to room temp to temper the sediment.
4. Swirled the liquid around in the bottle, sanitized the opening of the bottle and flask and pitched the sediment into the flask
5. Placed on stir plate on a low spin for 24 hours.
6. Placed in fridge over night decanted liquid and then added a traditional starter wort measuring 1.040 OG and a volume of 2 liters
7. Returned to stir-plate for 24 hours.

At this point it appears I have enough yeast to use this to make a starter, about enough to fill up 1/2 a whitelabs vile, for a SN Pale Ale clone I will brew this weekend.

Back