First Time Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VachonBrewCo

Reaction score
Howdy Beer nuts!

It is about time to rack my very first all grain from the primary into the secondary. It is a chocolate milk stout. I know not everyone does a secondary with stouts, but I would like to.

I'm not certain of the best way to siphon from a carboy to a fermenting bucket. My fear is that I don't want to siphon the trub into the secondary, but I don't want to lose a ton of volume.

As I said, this is my first time, so any advise is welcome! Thanks for your time. Happy brewing!

Cheers :mug:

Try keeping the bottom of the tube against the side of the carboy, that way you can keep an eye on it. You may also want to invest is an auto-siphon.

I started a siphon with a tube full of water for years but now like my auto siphon. I tip the carboy to get a little deeper liquid as the level drops and just watch not to dip the hose end in the trub... as little as possible anyway.

Awesome!! Thanks for the help. I was planning in picking up an auto siphon on Friday before racking. Only other question. Has anyone just used a bottling bucket as a secondary fermenter? Or is that not proper? Just curious. Thanks again!!

I only use glass for primary and secondary. With all the little scratches you can get in a plastic bucket, the risk isn't worth it.

Heck, I use a bottling bucket as a primary. Scratches and infections are a real concern but I have never had an issue in many years with an infection. Once a bucket is stained beyond all form or bleaching, I retire it to grain storage or similar but that takes a lot of dark beers.

Clean the spigot very well if you use the bottling bucket. Then what will you use when bottling? Buy a bucket or Better Bottle when you go to get your auto-siphon. You need more fermenters!

I cannot, personally advise using glass carboys as I feel they are too dangerous to use. (search the broken carboy threads) If you are reasonably careful cleaning plastic, and sanitize well, scratches are not a problem.

So it looks like what me and my brewmie are gonna do it pick up a second sealed fermenting bucket as well as a bottling bucket. In the near future I would love to get another carboy, but I won't have the fund in the time frame needed before racking. Our LHBS offers very low prices for buckets! Thanks for all of your advise. I'll let you know how it turns out. It should be pretty good. The OG was 1.074 and I took a reading last night and it was already 1.013 after only a week! Cheers everyone!

Latest posts

Back