First time PM -- Am I on the right track for a steam beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo_wire

Reaction score
I'm going to do a PM tonight that will be only 2.5 gallons, meaning that it will be pretty close to full boil all-grain (only 3/4 pound of DME). Using a 2-gallon rubbermaid cooler to mash with a capacity of 4 lbs.

I've always wanted to experiment with a steam beer, so this is my plan. Does it sound like I'm on the right track:

3.5 lbs 2-Row
0.5 lbs Crystal 40 (the color will likely be a little lighter than style, I should use Crystal 60, but this is what I have on hand and I'm not too worried about color)

Mash 155 30 mins, drain and sparge

30 min boil

3/4 lbs light DME late adddition

0.5 oz Pilgrim (11 aau) 30 mins
0.25 Pilgrim 15 min
0.25 Pilgrim 1 minute

Saflager 34/70 yeast

Ferment at 60-62 until complete, lower temp to high 30's in cooler over course of a week, secondary at 38 for 2-3 weeks

OG 1.054
FG 1.013
IBU 32

Does my process look good? Any problems with the 34/70 as a steam beer yeast? I could use US-05 instead, but I want to see what happens with the 34/70. Anyone tried it for a steam beer and gotten poor results?

Mash longer than 30 minutes, to ensure conversion. You probably would be safe with an hour.

I've never used that yeast strain, and especially not in a steam beer so I can't answer much about that. I'd definitely prefer a lager strain over an ale strain like So5, though. My favorite steam beer strains are Wyeast's 2112 and White Lab's WLP810.

I never used pilgrim hops. Northern brewer hops are the "signature" hop flavor in Anchor Steam beer.

I like a bit of toasty and less caramel sweetness in a California common. I'd lower the crystal malt and use some victory malt or toast a bit of two row instead of using over 10% crystal malt.

Thanks for the suggestions. Good one about the victory, I've got a few oz of that just waiting to be finished off.

Back