First time Peach wine HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
Im attempting peach for the first time. I have 50 pounds of peaches. Ive read where half of fruit is a good starting point for sugar so i added 20 pounds of sugar. I used about a 2 quarts roughly of water to dissolve sugar. I did not add anymore water. I just did a hydrometer reading and it is reading below 1.160 sg It looks like it would be 40% brix. I have not added yeast yet. Somebody help me what should i do?

Im attempting peach for the first time. I have 50 pounds of peaches. Ive read where half of fruit is a good starting point for sugar so i added 20 pounds of sugar. I used about a 2 quarts roughly of water to dissolve sugar. I did not add anymore water. I just did a hydrometer reading and it is reading below 1.160 sg It looks like it would be 40% brix. I have not added yeast yet. Somebody help me what should i do?

Normally, about 2 pounds of sugar per gallon of wine is a good place for wine. How many gallons of wine are you making?

To make matters worse my only hydrometer just got knocked off the counter and broke. Actually i only used 17 pounds of sugar. Right now i have (2) 5 gallon carboys with about 4 gallons in each one

To make matters worse my only hydrometer just got knocked off the counter and broke. Actually i only used 17 pounds of sugar. Right now i have (2) 5 gallon carboys with about 4 gallons in each one

Ok, how about this? Start with the recipe you made and we'll see how we can go on from here.

You have 50 pounds of peaches, crushed and pitted? In bags? Or loose? I assume if they are in a carboy that you'll never get them out. Or did you put the peaches in a press (hopefully NOT a juicer!!!!). I'm trying to picture what you've got going on so any info you can provide will help!

Here's a typical recipe for peach wine (1 gallon) from Jack Keller's website:

3 lbs ripe peaches
1/2 cup chopped raisins
1-3/4 lbs granulated sugar
1 large lemon
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 qt boiling water
1 crushed Campden tablet
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Sauterne wine yeast
Wash peaches in cool water. Do not peel. Slice thinly into primary, discarding stones. Mash the peaches and add chopped raisins and half the sugar. Pour in the boiling water and stir to dissolve sugar. Cover primary with sterile cloth and set aside until reaching room temperature, then add cool water to equal one gallon. Add juice of large lemon and crushed Campden tablet. Recover and set aside 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme and set aside another 12 hours. Stir in yeast nutrient and sprinkle yeast on top of must. Allow to ferment 5 days, stirring twice daily. Strain through nylon straining bag, squeezing firmly to extract juice. Add remainder of sugar, stir well to dissolve, then pour into secondary without topping up and fit airlock. Top up when fermentation dies down. Rack every three weeks until wine clears and fermented to bone dryness. Allow another two weeks, rack final time and bottle.

So, how did you process the peaches? How much water have you added?

Yooper...back in the summer when i picked then i halved them and pitted them. Put them in a ziplock freezer bag and froze them. When i thawed them i crushed them by pressing with a mallet and my hands. Yes i have them in (2) 5 gallon carboys which are both filled to the 4 gallon mark

Yooper...back in the summer when i picked then i halved them and pitted them. Put them in a ziplock freezer bag and froze them. When i thawed them i crushed them by pressing with a mallet and my hands. Yes i have them in (2) 5 gallon carboys which are both filled to the 4 gallon mark

You have crushed peaches and sugar? How much water? How much of it is peaches?

I'd take them out, and start over with a bucket or three and try using a recipe like above. It's going to be a mess if you don't contain the peach pulp in a big mesh bag or something. You'll never be able to rack the wine.

Back