First time kegging spot check.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caioz1jp

Reaction score
So this is my first time kegging. I have two pin-lock corny kegs with a 5lb CO2 tank with dual regulator from Midwest Supplies. Here is my run down for the evening:

1. Rinse inside of kegs with super hot water.
2. gentle scrub with bucket brush and Saniclean solution
3. Fill with Star San solution, seal, and shake.
4. Attach CO2 lines and tap lines to check for leaks.
5. Run some sanitizer solution through the lines under pressure.
6. Rinse kegs and chill before siphoning beer.
7 Slightly boil lid to ensure a good seal.
8. attach lines and keep under pressure and 30-40psi for 24 hour intervals. If not carbonated i will leave them for another 24 hours.
9 once carbed, turn pressure down to 7-12 psi based on temp of fridge.

The carbonation method is the one im sticking to becuase i have a party this weekend. Is there any other things in my cleaning and prep process i should watch out for?

Here are a few comments based upon my process.

Step 2. Care full with anything abrasive, I usually use a soft no scuff sponge. Let the chemicals do the cleaning for you, scrubbing should be just to loosen up any grime and get the cleaner rinsed out. Follow the cleaning with a good hot rinse before sanitizing to make sure all cleaning solution is gone.

Step 6. You are using star-san which is no rinse, if you rinse you will negate the effects of the star-san and potentially contaminate the keg. Also no need to chill the keg just empty out the sanitizer solution( i save mine for reuse) and rack the beer into it.

Step 7. I never heard of this, the lid will already be sanitized, using keg lube or a good quality food grade lube on the o-ring and hitting with a high pressure(30-40psi) is key to sealing.

Hi

Step zero: Check the keg to be sure it holds pressure. Run it up to 30 psi or so with your CO2 tank. If you have a way to submerge it in water do so and look for bubbles. Wait a week or so and check pressure by burping it with the gas out valve or the pressure relief (if it has one).

Bob

Latest posts

Back