First time kegerator setup question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjuckett1025

Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm test firing my kegerator before the brew is done to make sure all my ducks are in a row. I have two 5 gal kegs filled with sanitizer, to double as line cleaning.

I'm using a 5lb CO2 canister, which is also located inside the keezer. I made all the connections, tested the connectors with soap ( saw no bubbling ). I'm a few hours since I first connected everything, and I've noticed the CO2 regulator has dropped quite a bit. It started off in between 40 and 60 on the regulator ( maybe half way in the green marked area ), and is now at the bottom base of the green area, closer to 40. Id say its moved about 2-3 full dash lines.

While I'd usually be concerned with a leak, I feel confident the soap test worked well. My question is when connecting a filled keg with CO2, should I expect a massive dip in the C02 regulator due to CO2 having to fill up the empty space in the keg? Mind you, one keg has a full 5 gallon batch of sanitizer, while the other keg only had 4.

thanks for your time reading an any assistance you provide!

If you're seeing green and red areas on a gauge it's the cylinder pressure gauge (as opposed to the low pressure gauge that indicates regulator setting). So you're seeing the cylinder pressure drop as the contents chills in the keezer.

This chart plots cylinder pressure vs temperature vs percent of fill. As you can see, CO2 vapor pressure is responsive to temperature...

co2pvstemp.gif

Cheers!

Thanks for the response. So, should I be all set then? Im trying to grasp the chart but not entirely getting it.

It started at room temp just under 1000 ( about mid way in the green pie ), and after being in the keezer and cooling its right at the start of the green pie, alittle above 500

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 57
For "near enough" a fresh fill, just look at the yellow inset table: At room temp you can expect a vapor pressure of around 850 psi, while at, say, 35°F after a good soak in the keezer, the pressure would end up around 530 psi.
So, at least wrt to the cylinder pressure dropping as the tank chills, what you're seeing is quite normal...

Cheers!

Back