First time home Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayVW08

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a first time home Brewer. My only experiences brewing is at a retail outlet where you pay to brew there. It was a pretty bad experience, so I went ahead, bought all my own equipment, and I'm ready to do it right this time! Happy to be here and learn!

Welcome! To the most addictive forum and hobby!

at a retail outlet where you pay to brew there.

Just curious! How do these work? You bring ingredients, and you just use their equipment or do they provide the ingredients?

Hello and welcome from Northern California, HBT is awesome, your gonna love it here.

Hello HBT community. Discovered this thread, and this seems to be where I fit in as a newbie brewer. I have only one completed 2 gal batch under my belt (brewing on my own). Working on my second batch (1 gal this time).

I am looking into eventually getting a 10 gal brew kettle so I can do bigger batches. But there are so many companies out there (Anvil, Spike Brewing, BrewBuilt, Ss Brewtech, etc.).

All brew buckets being equal (304 stainless steel, 18 gauge, etc.), is there a real advantage or benefit in the opening of the spigot being spot-welded, or having what seems to be a “4-screw spigot” vs one piece?

The Ss Brewtech 10gal brew kettle looks very appealing. Price is obviously a consideration, especially if you compare, for example, the Ss brew kettle to the Blichmann G2 Boilermaker.

At the end of the day, with my limited experience in home brewing, I just want to be able to make 5 gallon batches and easily transfer the wort from the kettle to my 5 gal plastic bucket fermenter.

A mash tun with a spigot (Coleman-type mash tun) would probably be a smarter and more economical first purchase. It would certainly help me get more control on how clear the wort is and decrease chances of contamination compared to my existing process--less control of the flow as I simply dump the wort through the malt in a colander.

Your thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.

Welcome! To the most addictive forum and hobby!

Just curious! How do these work? You bring ingredients, and you just use their equipment or do they provide the ingredients?

You pay a fee based on the beer you choose to brew. So you use their equipment and ingredients and they supply the recipe as part of the payment

Back