First time dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
So I have a SN Torpedo clone that just finished fermenting. The recipe calls for drying with .67oz each of citra, magnum, and crystal for 14 days. But I have 1oz bags of each. Is it a bad idea to put 1oz of each for 14 days? Or maybe lower the duration to 10 days or something?

Weird recipe, given that the whole point of the torpedo is embracing the recent realization that short but thorough dry hopping is most effective.
14 days is insane.
I say do half of what you have in a bag for two days, then follow with the other half for two days. Cold crash and package.

About a decade ago I read an interview with a "name brewer" who had the opinion that about 80% of what dry hops are going to contribute happens in the first 24 hours.

So I bought into the popular wisdom and never go past 5 days at ~68°F when dry hopping in the fermentor.
And I've yet to experience the dreaded grassy character...

Cheers!

I did a DIPA with 2 dry hop additions for 7 days each. Racked off the first dry hops into another fermenter with more dry hops. Turned out awesome. I think 10-14 days would be way too long.

I've done Pliney clones which called for a dry hop at 14 days and another at 7-10. Always turned out great. Wouldn't go much longer than 14 days, but never had grass flavors with 14.

Get a beer thief and taste it after 5-7 days. I just use a turkey baster. If it's not getting any off flavors maybe let the hops sit for another day or so and check it again or package it. If you keg you can put a sack of hops in the keg too. I've seen brewers do this for a long time and didn't hear of any off flavors but you'll never know unless you experiment yourself.
The beer I have on tap now I only dry hopped for 2 days and it has a great hop nose and flavor to it. Of course I put in 4 oz's or so in the whirlpool too :)

For a 7% IPA 5 gallon batch I typically dry hop in primary for last 5 days of primary (14 day primary) with total of 2 oz high AA (Citra, Mosaic, Calypso) pellet hops in sanitized muslin bag with fishing line tied around the top of the bag so it can be suspended in the middle of carboy, always results in super fresh hop flavor. I have also read that anything > 1-5 days of dry-hopping has no aroma benefit, only results in delaying of drinking fresh hopped IPA!

Latest posts

Back