First time carbing... worried about bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The13th

Reaction score
Up until now, I've only made still cider. I want to carbonate my next batch, but as the title states, I'm worried about creating bottle bombs.

I'm making a 3 gallon batch of cyser. I used about 2 3/4 gallons of farm stand cider, 5 pounds of honey, and Lalvin D47 yeast. My OG was 1.100. It's been in the primary for a month now and the fermentation appears to have slowed down, but I haven't taken another gravity reading yet.

My plan is that when I get an FG of 1.000, I'll rack it into the bottling bucket with about 4/10 cup of dissolved brown sugar and then bottle. Other than adding that sugar as a primer, I do not intend to backsweeten at all. I spoke with a guy from my local homebrew shop and he told me that I should be fine with respect to bottle bombs and that there's no need to pasteurize it.
Is that true? Should my plan work? I've been reading a bunch of threads on here and am now worried about exploding bottles.

I'll be bottling with a mix of regular beer bottles and Grolsch-style bottles.

You should be good. Use a priming guide to see. Typically 3 volumes is on the high side of carving but can still be safe.

I wouldn't do 3 vols in normal bottles, especially if they are used. I've heard they start to fail after 2.5 assuming there are no stress fractures.

From a "for info purposes only do not make decisions based on this statement" perspective, normal beer bottles are max rated at 5 bar, and grolsh bottles are higher. I've done beers in grolsh bottles (Berliner Weiss) at 3.5 vols co2 safely.

Note that I'm not a science guy, so I can't tell you how 3 vols compares to 5 bar.

Just make sure to check the charts, and weigh out the brown sugar instead of using a measuring cup. Otherwise you could miss your target and get bombs or flat cider.

I strictly use the ez's and I'm pretty sure that they're good quality thick bottles. My personal opinion but I would think the seal at the cap would fail before a bottle explodes. I religiously bottle carb/condition in the 1L bottles. They can hold pressure almost like a champagne bottle.

Thanks for the responses. If I'm understanding this correctly, I'm going to shoot for 2.4 vols, so that it should be nicely carbed while remaining under the bottle stress threshold. All of my bottles are brand new, so that should work in my benefit.

Had three 1L ez bottles explode on different batches so I choose UK bottles (Young's and Crabbies)

Interesting... I prime for 3.0 Volumes and have never had a bottle bomb yet... I mostly use reused Woodchuck bottles, and what ever caps they carry at the lhbs... Guess I might be lucky.

Latest posts

Back