First time brewing without a kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptBrew8386

Reaction score
I finally graduated from Mr. Beer kits!

Brewed this on Saturday! Yeast is hard at work. It will be a honey hefeweizen when it's done...I hope!

I'm completely paranoid that my sanitation wasn't up to par. And I find myself checking the carboy every few hours. I never thought I'd get so much enjoyment out of bubbles!

Here's hoping it turns out okay!

View attachment 1431974993759.jpg

I like to watch the bubbles too..and sniff airlocks..That looks like a nice, healthy krausen..

I'm curious why you have your blowoff hose attached to a siphon going into the bucket. I always run the hose straight into the bung (no airlock) and let the other end sit in a jug with some star san..maybe a couple liters worth.

That came as a recommendation from the guy at my LHBS. I just said okay and went with it, haha

The bucket next to the carboy is filled with a star san solution.

Was worried Saturday night when I didn't see anything (I know that doesn't mean anything) but was pleasantly surprised Sunday morning!

Back