First time brewing - recipe review ?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matzou

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'am planning to brew my first batch ever on this friday, to be more accurate I'am planning to do 2 batches of 5L~.

Here is the ingredients I bought:

2Kg of light DME
1Kg of crystal malt L60
250Gr of cascade pellet
100Gr of saaz
1Kg of candi clear sugar
1Pkg of Mangrove jacks M29 french saison yeast

I chose thoses ingredients (mostly the yeast;) because I'am currently living in the south of spain and the room temperature for beer fermenation will be around 27° +/- 1°

With thoses ingredients I'am planning to do 2 different beers, one saison like and the other more like a cross saison X IPA.

Saison:
700Gr of DME
100Gr of candi sugar 12%
20gr of saaz hops @ 15Mins
5Gr of saaz hops@ flame out

I'am trying to do both batch with 15 mins boiling after reading a lot of different review in this forum and elswhere on the net.

I saw that to attain the same biterness than a 60mins boil you need to put twice the amount @15mins, but I'am afraid that it could be to hoppy ?
The sugar is to dry out a little bit more the beer.

Saison x IPA:
100Gr of Crystal malt L60 steep for 30mins until reaching 67°
800gr of light DME extract (half @15Mins half @ 5 mins)
20Gr of cascade pellets @15Mins
5Gr of cascade pellets @5Mins
5Gr of cascade pellets @flameout

5Gr of cascade pellets dry hopping for 5 days

Same question about hop quantity, taking into consideration that I want this one to be "hoppy".

Thanks for your time:mug:

I'm sorry I can't help with your recipe, but you may get more responses if you convert out of that metric stuff. Not many people here measure things in kilograms and Celsius. Ounces and Fahrenheit probably don't seem logical to you, but they're widely used here.

Ok so for the saison recipe:
24.7 oz of light DME
3.5 oz of candidates clear sugar (12%)
0.7 oz of saaz hops@15mins
0.17 oz of saaz @ flame out

Since iam trying a 15min boil iam not sure about the hop quantity.

If you are planning on boiling about 6 liters so you end up with 5 before adding yeast, i would say 15 min boil is do-able. You won't get much hop utilization so yes, you will have to add quite a lot of hops which you've done. For the saison, you are probably adding a little much for the boil hops so you may want to back that off 5g.

you can probably get away with 2.2 g of the yeast in each, but it doesn't hurt to split the sachet evenly between the two.

For the one you're calling an IPA I would go 10g for the flameout hops and let it steep 30 minutes before chilling.

For steeping the grain, you would want to heat the water to 67 then add the grain to the water - not sure if that's what you meant but I'd avoid heating with the grain in the kettle so you don't scorch anything.

Have fun!

Thank you for your answer.

Glad to hear that the recipes looks fine to you.
Ill just go with 15Gr(0.6oz) of saaz @ 15mins (or even 10Gr(0.4oz) ?)

I find the difference to be minimal between the pseudo IPA and the saison for the hops @ 15mins, should I up the amount of cascade hops @15mins to 25,30Gr(1.2oz) to have a "proper IPA taste" or the amount @ flame out + the dry hop will be enough ?

As for the steeping grains, I was planning to add them directly in the water until 67·c and then wait for 30mins, I will follow your recommendations.

As well the proportion of sugar/DME for the saison are fine with 88%of DME for 12%of sugar ?
And the for the pseudo IPA with 88%DME for 12%of Crystal malt ?

Stupid side question can I just add the yeast with a little of boiled water @ 22·C~ from a cup, just to allow me to weight it on a scale more easily.

Thanks.

The later hop additions are the key with homebrewed IPAs

You are right on with the DME/sugar ratio.

And for the IPA the crystal malt is a safe ratio and I would start there for this batch. You can always play with that later on since you'll drink the 8-12 beer pretty quickly!

For pitching the yeast, if you mean pre-boiled but room temp water yes that's a good way to go. Just make sure the cup is sanitized.

Well just a quick update to inform you that everything is going well, despite me trying to kill the yeast...

I pitched the yeast @ 29°(84F) and few hours after the fermentation started and the temp is staying around 29°.

I guess i was greedy and put too much beer inside the container since it started to come out of the bubbler.

Well after 1 week:
The saison went from an OG of 1,056 to 1,003 and the saison x IPA from 1,057 to 1,005.

During the dry hop it was smelling like beer and tasting... like something (minus the saison which was kind of okish).

Hopefullly i did'nt screw up during the densimeter reading and I should be able to taste my first beers. :)

Back