First time brewer setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydia131

Reaction score
Ok...so first post and brand new to the site and home brewing as well. I guess I just have one question to begin with. I have been talking about home brewing for several years now and I think my wife has finally grown tired of it and basically ok'd the purchase of supplies. I started my search with kits and was really considering the monster brew complete starter home brewing kit. It looks like a good place to start and looks like all I need is a brewing pot? Not completely sure about that though. Ok so to my main question to all you experienced brewers...if you were me, a complete brewing rookie with zero experience and equipment what equipment would you purchase?

If I had to say what I'm looking for I'd say primary concern is buying stuff that I wouldn't have to replace in a year and secondary concern is getting started with something that I can produce a decent drinkable beer the first time. Thank you for any and all comments and I can't wait to get started!!!

If you can aford it,a complete kit would be the quickest,easiest way to go. Midwestsupplies.com has some good ones for good prices too. They also have Fed-Ex home delivery that's pretty quick for me. It's also their 2nd cheapest option,next to USPS...

Best deal I've seen on a starter kit is -http://www.windriverbrew.com/apprentice.html which also includes a 5-gallon batch kit with yeast. Pick an ale, of course, unless you have a chamber to do a 50*F ferment.

I'd add to that an autosiphon, some tubing and Star-San.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra $$ for a starter kit that includes a secondary fermenter. For most brews it isn't needed and you can spend the difference on something much more useful, like a brew pot and/or wort chiller.

That's why I mentioned midwest. You can get the starter kit for $65,then ad the options they have to add other things like brew kettles,chillers,bottles,keging system,etc.

Thats sounds perfect. Does this site have a list anywhere of all the needed equipment and product yo get started?

Sorry bout that like i said im new to the forums but i know it has to be a little annoying answering the same questions over and over

Sorry bout that like i said im new to the forums but i know it has to be a little annoying answering the same questions over and over

Not at all!

I think I saw a nice "basic" starter kit on Northern Brewer's website. I'll look for it.

In the meantime, I'd suggest going onto their website and ordering their catalogue. They have a good one, and it shows the different kits they have and different grains and hops. I use it for reference sometimes, even if I'm not ordering anything.

No sweat. Didn't mean it that way. I meant there's a thread from the last month or so floating around here that actually had member's lists of brewing fundamental needs. I just don't remember the thread name. Midwest has a catalog (wishbook) too for free.

Ok, here's the one I saw: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/essential-brewing-starter-kit.html

But you also need a hydrometer and a test jar. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/beer-and-wine-triple-scale-hydrometer.html and http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/breakdown-test-jar.html

You'll still need to collect bottles but those should be all you need. The kit also includes your choice of a beer recipe kit, with the ingredients for a batch of beer, so it's economical as well as the basics.

You'll need a pot to brew in. I started by using my old canning pot, so see what you have around the house before you decide if you need to buy one!

It helps to have a short memory so you don't realize that you have answered that question several times. :D It also helps that the answer changes from time to time as new/different suppliers come out with some special deals.:rockin:

Nice. I like that they pair it with the Caribou Slobber.:mug:

Yes, me too- that's why it caught my eye I think. Of course, I'm a brewing catalogue junkie and I was just looking at it yesterday. The Caribou Slobber really is a nice beer for people who like American brown ales. It's one of my go-to beers.

I also like their clear step-by-step instructions for their beer kits. And their quality is first rate.

I'm just starting too and did a lot of looking around to get the most bang for my buck. One thing to keep in mind is LHBS. I don't know where you are, but I found a better deal locally than what I was about to buy online.

Back