First time Brewer of a Jalapeño, Vanilla Porter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews-n-Blues

Reaction score
Does anyone have info on what the best way and Brewing steps are for adding Jalapeño pepper to a Vanilla porter?
I want to split a 5gal partial mash, extract into 2 (2.5 - 3gal) batches.
One will stay the original kit recipe and the other will be experimented with adding Vanilla extract and Jalapeño pepper!
I'm looking for the sweetness of the vanilla to come thru and a little heat from the peppers? Not sure how many peppers I should use for this outcome?
Appreciate any ideas on this project?
Thanks and Cheers!!
🍺😎

Anytime I add anything following fermentation for fermentation purposes, I basically make a tincture using vodka and soak whatever it may be (jalapenos, vanilla beans, etc.) for a week or so. I remove the peppers (or beans), then dump it into the beer and let it rest a few additional days.

In the past, for a five gallon batch, I've used 3-4 jalapenos. It added a nice, but noticeable, bite on the backend of the palette. I'm trying to picture it with vanilla...seems like a fun combination.

Anyway, I cut the jalapenos lengthwise, remove the seeds, then dropp them in a small cup of vodka (enough to cover the peppers and not expose them). Let them sit for a week or two, then dump the tincture into the beer, and it is good to go. Obviously, peppers are somewhat weird in heat levels. We have three jalapeno plants...they're never consistent on their heat level, so I usually taste a small sample before making the tincture. That's where the fun experimentation part of homebrewing starts...once you find a base recipe (ie. an IPA or a brown ale), you can go nuts with less pepper, more pepper, more vanilla, etc. I have a good brown ale base that I will brew, then add toasted coconut to, vanilla tincture, etc.

Thanks for the info!
I take it from your reply and also reading other blogs, that vanilla extract is not a good option to use in the secondary fermentor? It's always better to use beans? And Madagascar vanilla beans are the best for using in Beer?
I think I'm gonna skip the peppers this time, so I can get the vanilla right first.
Also, when you were fermenting your porter in primary, what temp did you ferment at? I've converted my fridg into a Fermentation chamber and I had it set for 68° for 6 days. I then bumped it up to 70° to see if it would do anything more?
The Krausen dropped in only 2 days?
I've heard that this is normal?
Have you experienced this as well?

Attachments

• 20200828_161655.jpg
    20200828_161655.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20200828_161740.jpg
    20200828_161740.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back