First time Brett beer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Couple questions regarding my first Brett beer.

I have a Red I brewed with sweet potatoes and dates and fermented it with US-05. Finaly gravity was 1.019 and from there, I transferred to a carboy and added Brett L.

I've read mixed results with the temp to keep it at. Homebrew store said 85-100. White Labs site said 70-85. Have read a few post on here saying go with whatever temp. Right now I have it at about 85*, but am just wondering whats ideal?

How long until I should see a pellicle start forming? Its been almost two weeks and so far I havent seen anything form. Is that a bad thing?

Oxgen.. Again, mixed responses from what I've seen. Some say oak spiral or something in to the beer. Wood/oak in the opening of the carboy. Normal type airlock. Or, silicone stopper. Whats the best option to go with? I'm not really trying to pick up much oak characteristics, just the flavors from Brett.

Thanks guys!

Room temperature is fine. I wouldnt go much lower than 65ish because the brett will work very slowly, but 85-100 is far higher than I would let it sit.

If you don't want oak flavor, don't add oak. You don't need any type of oxygen exchange to get the brett characteristics. It will work either way.

A pellicle may or may not form. Some strains have left no pellicle for me, others have left a crazy one as soon as primary fermentation was over. A pellicle typically indicates oxygen is present, but I think it can form even in anaerobic conditions.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll just wrap it with a blanket, remove the heat and let it sit.

So i'm also assuming I can just keep the normal airlock on there?

Normal airlock is fine. I prefer the S shaped airlocks for long term aging because they seem to need refilling less frequently than the 3-piece.

Latest posts

Back