First step mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
I’m planning my first step mash on Friday. I’ve got a few 20 minute stops along the way to mash out and I’m wondering about the temperature ramp up between each. Suppose it takes me 2-3 minutes to go from one to the next. Does that count as part of my first step, part of the second or is it just dead time and I only count the 20 minutes that are actually at the target temp.?

Each step is supposed to accomplish a particular action which happens in a range of temperature, not as precise as we might think. With that in mind, your ramp up time will count as part of each rest but the timing of each rest is a bit flexible too. I think you are over-thinking this and can just relax and it will come out fine. In this case the difference between a 20 minute rest and a 22 minute rest can be ignored, especially since the activity promoted by the rest may have been completed in 10 or 15 minutes and you won't be able to tell the difference. Some brewers will tell you that they can't tell the difference between a multiple rest mash and a single infusion mash.

Latest posts

Back