First starter looks odd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doobiebrewer

Reaction score
I just boiled my starter for 2 min (4cups water, 1cup dme). Right at 2min it looked like hot break happening. And now have grey bits floating around in it. Is this normal?

Could be break material or you could have scorched the DME if it went to the bottom of the vessel you were boiling it in.

Could be break material or you could have scorched the DME if it went to the bottom of the vessel you were boiling it in.
I heated it up slowly and made sure it was mixed thoroughly before taking it up to boil. It all settled to the bottom now. Can I still pitch the yeast?

Well I pitched 2 wlp001 into 1200ml. Think it normally would be 2000ml for 2 packets.

Brewing imperial stout tomorrow and want to make sure there's plenty of yeast but not too much volume to change gravity. Thank you as always for your help

Well I pitched 2 wlp001 into 1200ml. Think it normally would be 2000ml for 2 packets.

Brewing imperial stout tomorrow and want to make sure there's plenty of yeast but not too much volume to change gravity. Thank you as always for your help

You might want to think about stepping up your starter instead of using 2 packets next time. It'll save you money in the long run...

You might want to think about stepping up your starter instead of using 2 packets next time. It'll save you money in the long run...
Packets are 100billion cells and recipe requires 322billion. Not sure how fast they reproduce.

Yeast packets are 100b when packaged, and lose something like 0.5-1% per day. I always just use a calculator like www.brewersfriend.com to see what I need to do in order to get a good cell count.

Last edited:
If the yeast is fairly new you can let the starter run for 24 hours, chill, decant, and add more wort if you need to step it up. Older yeast (3 months +) you may have to give it more time than that. I just did a starter where i needed 351 billion and ended up being 1800mL. I ran it for 24 hours, took my 100 billion for harvesting, chilled overnight and decanted in the morning. You could have done a similar size starter for this one instead of pitching two packs in your starter

I just boiled my starter for 2 min (4cups water, 1cup dme). Right at 2min it looked like hot break happening. And now have grey bits floating around in it. Is this normal?

Not sure how it looks but here is a link to an easy way to make a starter. Covers all the ins and outs, numbers etc. Don't bother stepping up a starter. A waste of time and resources. Just make one that's big enough and give yourself time to decant it. (not applicable for this brew but there is always next time)

Don't bother stepping up a starter. A waste of time and resources.

Great like picture tutorial! However, a new brewer might not have the same "resources" such as you to make their starters. Stepping up a starter is a great alternative for someone who doesn't have a 5L vessel or a stir plate unlike yourself who has both. If your yeast was a month old and you use the shake method with a 4L starter you wouldn't get a high enough cell count for an Imperial stout (as the OP is brewing). You'd hardly have enough for even a 1.050 brew.

Great like picture tutorial! However, a new brewer might not have the same "resources" such as you to make their starters. Stepping up a starter is a great alternative for someone who doesn't have a 5L vessel or a stir plate unlike yourself who has both. If your yeast was a month old and you use the shake method with a 4L starter you wouldn't get a high enough cell count for an Imperial stout (as the OP is brewing). You'd hardly have enough for even a 1.050 brew.

I disagree. Not having a stir plate and making starters is like not having a thermometer and making beer. Pointless frugality with increased costs.
If you want to make starters, get one. They are cheap. Very cheap.

Spend money, time and effort on stepping up a starter if that is your preference or simply buy better ingredients/kit.

Stir plate for under $15 and a 5L flask for under $40 are investments that pay for themselves rapidly many times over.
Wasting money on DME and time on old yeast is not an approach I favor.

Better off just using dry yeast. Use good ingredients. Fresh. Yeast is an important variable to control.
Accepting laborious steps and expense when simpler, less costly, more predictable options exist makes no sense to me.

Yeast is an important variable to control.
Accepting laborious steps and expense when simpler, less costly, more predictable options exist makes no sense to me.

It may not make sense to you, but not everyone has a LHBS that they can select the freshest yeast from. There are many ways to skin a cat, and yours may not suit everyone. I too have a stir plate and flask, but not everyone does and you can certainly get by without. Just providing the OP with options for him to decide which works for him.

Please show me where I can purchase a stirplate for less than $15. Yes, I know you can build one for less (I used scrap parts I had), but you're assuming everyone is comfortable doing the DIY route. DC circuits can still start fires...

It may not make sense to you, but not everyone has a LHBS that they can select the freshest yeast from. There are many ways to skin a cat, and yours may not suit everyone. I too have a stir plate and flask, but not everyone does and you can certainly get by without. Just providing the OP with options for him to decide which works for him.

Please show me where I can purchase a stirplate for less than $15. Yes, I know you can build one for less (I used scrap parts I had), but you're assuming everyone is comfortable doing the DIY route. DC circuits can still start fires...
Well brew day happened. Pitched starter and things are on track. Had lots more yeast than I started with. Have a 2000ml flask. Stir plate around $50. Not highest priority when starting out gathering equipment. Thanks for the tips

Well brew day happened. Pitched starter and things are on track. Had lots more yeast than I started with. Have a 2000ml flask. Stir plate around $50. Not highest priority when starting out gathering equipment. Thanks for the tips
And I saw the same grey bits in my hot break. It's briess light pils dme.

Had lots more yeast than I started with. Have a 2000ml flask. Stir plate around $50. Not highest priority when starting out gathering equipment. Thanks for the tips

Exactly, you definitely don't need one and I was brewing great beers without a stirplate for over 2 years. A 1 gallon carboy for $5 will do the trick. Also, doing 1L starter and then a stepping up with 3L cost the EXACT SAME as doing a 4L starter. Math is hard sometimes. It will also yield more yeast than a 4L on a stir plate. Some people let their passion blur their perspective...

And I saw the same grey bits in my hot break. It's briess light pils dme.

This is probably just hot break material assuming it's not being scorched. I wouldn't worry too much about it since your starter seemed to like it and more yeast showed up to the feast. Next time take a picture and post it. If your DME looks good before you put it in the water, then it usually is...

Back