first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iii9ix3

Reaction score
Basing on a kit I bought. Wanted to use Citra hops instead of the ones the kit came with.

6lb Light LME
3.3lb Amber LME
8oz Crystal 40L

FWH 1oz Centennial ~ pellet
20 min 1oz Citra ~ pellet
15 min 1oz Citra ~ pellet
5 min 1oz Citra ~ pellet
0 min 1oz Citra ~ pellet

Dry hop:
7 day 2oz Citra ~ pellet
7 day 1oz Centennial ~ pellet

Thoughts on the hop schedule/recipe? This will be a full boil.

Thanks!

Looks like a nice, hoppy American-style Amber Ale! I love Citra hops and the schedule looks great. Have you put them into brewing software to see where your IBUs end up? It might be a little high for the style, you could ease off the amounts of the FWH and 20 minute addition a little, if that's so.

And welcome to HBT!

the kit is Octane IPA from midwest supplies, i didn't change any of the fermentables. I just wanted to use Citra hops, probably driven by my Zombie Dust crave. Plus, I want to experiment with dry hopping and a more complex hop schedule beyond the basic 60-30-<5 most kits have.

I haven't run the numbers with software. Is there any free software you'd recommend? I'm not against spending money, I just want to slow it down a bit as I haven't even bottled my 1st batch yet (in secondary on oak)!

One more question, any specific yeast you'd recommend? I pitched the Muntons that came with my first Midwest kit, but I was thinking about trying US-05 for this 2nd brew. Fermentation temperature control is lacking right now, I just put the bucket in a closet. I've read here US-05 is more consistent with fluctuating temperatures.

Back