First recipe design (amber lager): any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonkman

Reaction score
I imagine a nice toasty lager, slightly spicy, slightly floral, solid body, but well balanced by mid-level bitterness. I started with designing a czech lager, but couldn't resist adding rye. Couldn't choose between pilsner/vienna/munich, so did a bit of them all. I love too much. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Here's what I'm thinking (5.5 gal):

GRAINS:
3lb pilsner
2lb vienna
2lb light Munich
1lb dark Munich
1lb malted rye
1lb flaked rye
8oz carabrown malt
2oz black malt

Single infusion mash at 154 degrees for 60 minutes.

HOPS:
1oz saaz at 45 minutes
0.5 oz Hallertau at 30 min
0.5 oz Hallertau at 15min

YEAST
Saflager 34/70

It will be beer!

For my first recipe I'd probably go simpler so you can have a better idea of what each malt is doing, but this certainly wouldn't taste bad.

Ok, I think I'm going to drop the rye. It is a favorite, but maybe best saved for the next brew. I'll up the pilsner by 1lb.

I'll scale down the carabrown to 4oz.

And I'll drop the black malt. I wanted the 2oz of black malt mostly for the color, and a hint of roast. Will it really be so significant as to impart stoutiness?

4lb pilsner
2lb vienna
2lb light Munich
1lb dark Munich
4oz Carabrown malt

Das ist ein Amber Lager, ja?

Last edited:
Lots going on there.

I was fooled by your thread title: "Amber Lager."

It's not an amber; it's a Rye. And you'll get overtones of stoutiness with the brown malt and chocolate malt.

If that's what you're going for, then that's fine. But remember sometimes less is more.
+1

This beer is all over the place - really far from a lager; although still sounds tasty

I would go super simple and drop these:

2lb light Munich OR the 1lb dark Munich
1lb malted rye
1lb flaked rye
8oz carabrown malt
2oz black malt

You don't need any of that to make a really good amber lager; hops are on point

Latest posts

Back