First racking of my first batch, how did i do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthboundagain

Reaction score
It has been seven days since I started my first batch. I had a huge layer of lees built up in three of my carboys, so I decided to rack them today. I added a crushed campden tablet to all 4 batches and racked them into a clean carboy; I also cleaned and sanitized all the equipment used today. I also topped off each carboy to the bottom of the bung using water. I will put the starting stats and the stats for today’s racking for each batch. I have a few questions which I will ask below. Here is the link to the original recipe thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/finally-started-my-first-batch-today-how-did-i-do-173465/

4-15-10
Cider #1
s.g 1.051
Sugar oz. 18
Pa 6.5%
4-22-10
Cider #1

4-15-10
Cider #2
s.g. 1.035
Sugar oz. 12
Pa 4.75%
4-22-10
Cider#2

4-15-10
Cyser #1
s.g. 1.076
Sugar oz. 26
Pa 10%
4-22-10
Cyser #1
5%

4-1510
Grapple Wine
s.g. 1.063
Sugar oz. 23
Pa 8.5%
4-22-10
Grapple Wine
2%

Ok I will get to the specific questions now.

First I may have splashed more then I wanted to with a couple of the batches, they siphoned very quickly, being that they are all 1 gallon, and I had a lot of whirlpool action going on, since these are very fresh is this going to kill the batches??

The second question is more of an observation. I sampled all the batches after taking the hydrometer readings. I know that all these brews are very fresh but I will give you the taste descriptions the best I know how.
Cider #1 Very nice taste, light apple and slightly tart.
Cider #2 Very winey, and very tart, not vinegary but very green
Cyser #1 Very sweet, with a nice honey flavor, slight apple very low tartness
Grapple Wine this was very winey, and moderately tart, very dry tasted like a glass of red wine, which had set out for a few hours.

I know that only time will tell, but I am kind of worried about Cider #2 and the Grapple wine, while they were not vinegar tasting yet, they were the closest. But I should add, that none of the four batches, had much of an aroma, they were all very mild in smell.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed, I am going to start another round of batches soon, and I need help on a recipe, but that is another thread for the wine forum. :rockin:

Splashing just adds oxygen, and little bacteria need oxygen, so they start growing. It in no way kills your batches, but starts other undesirable growths.

As you said, it is early. Taste them again in a month, and they will be different. Wait 6 months, and they will be hugely different. I wouldn't worry about it now, but if the bad flavors intensify, then be worried. If not, it could all be in your head because it is green.

Thanks for the response, yeah I am going to just relax, and let time take its course. I will definitely put some crimp in my siphon when I rack again, so it slows down. :)

Latest posts

Back