First one tomorrow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaptainKarl

Reaction score
Looking forward to pitching my first cider tomorrow! I really pulled out the stops for this one.
- five gallons of store-brand apple cider (yes, preservative free).
- safale 05, because it's what I have.
- brown sugar proofing solution, because the yeast is a few months old, stored in OK, but not ideal conditions.

I've done about a dozen batches of extract beer, so I'm not so much looking for total beginner advice as I am saying "Geronimo!"

Be well!

I don't think brown sugar starter will be a problem as the sugar in apples is 100% fermentable. If you have some bakers yeast, boil it in some water for 5 minutes and add it to your starter for some extra oomph.Good luck!

Well, this was a hit. Turned out better than I expected given the grocery store juice. Half of it I sweetened with cranberry cocktail at bottling, then pasteurized on the stove top. That's the best of the batch. I primed the rest, except for a liter bottles still.

So popular, I pitched another batch yesterday. No starter this time. We'll see what difference that makes.

Latest posts

Back