First NEIPA Question - Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to pull the grain and get ready to boil. The hop schedule I got was this:

First hop addition - 1oz Citra cryohop after flameout @170F & hold for 30 minutes
Second is at yeast pitch - 2oz Vic Secret
Day 7 - 2oz Citra cryohop & 4oz Vic Secret

I'm wondering if this is going to be enough. I have buddies who are using over a pound of hops in their NEIPA's. Admittedly, they aren't using cryohops.

I have an additional 2oz of Citra cryohops, 4oz of Citra pellets, and 4oz of Mosaic pellets I can use, if needed.

What do you guys think about this hop schedule? Given the availability of hops, would you change it at all? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

.25-.5 oz of a clean bittering hop, Magnum, Warrior, CTZ, to name a few.

I don’t have any of those and it’s heating up right now. Limited to Citra (cryo and pellet), Mosaic (cryo and pellet), and Vic Secret (pellet).

Thinking about this:

2oz citra cryo, 1oz mosaic cryo, 3oz Vic secret at 170F for 10 minutes

2oz citra, 2oz mosaic, 2oz Vic secret at yeast pitch

2oz citra, 2oz mosaic, 2oz Vic secret at high krausen

Last edited:
I hate to think of either Citra or Mosaic being used for bittering just out of GPs, but an ounce of either at the beginning of the boil will take care of a decent bittering charge...

fwiw, I do the "bio-hop" 48 hours from pitching, let that ride for four days, then do the 2nd dry hop for another four days before cold crashing and kegging...

Cheers!

I ended up doing this:

2oz citra cryo, 1oz mosaic cryo, 3oz Vic secret at 170F for 15 minutes

2oz citra, 2oz mosaic, 1oz Vic secret at yeast pitch

And then I'll do this at high krausen:

I ended up doing this:

2oz citra cryo, 1oz mosaic cryo, 3oz Vic secret at 170F for 15 minutes

2oz citra, 2oz mosaic, 1oz Vic secret at yeast pitch

And then I'll do this at high krausen:

Why at yeast pitch? Generally the dry hop schedule should be during high krausen and then again once fermentation has stopped.

That’s what the original recipe called for, not honestly sure. First time ever doing one so I figured what the hell.

You'll get more hop "bite" or spiciness, so you may be on to something. But you'll probably lose a fair bit of citrus/floral aroma along the way.

Yes, the CO2 scrubbing from the beginning of fermentation would be the negative.
Which could be the reasoning why most of the neipa clones do the bio-hopping later than at the pitch...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back