First Lager - Diacytle Rise/Rest Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted464

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing my first lager - an all grain Helles Bock which started out at 1.056. I am using wlp833 (German Bock), 2 vials with a large starter. I began fermenting at 60 for one day (per my lhbs) and dropped it to 50... I am currently on day 5 and I am still seeing good airlock activity (bubbling about every ten seconds). I have not checked the gravity again yet - my question is when should I do my diacytle rest? I was thinking within the next two days, bringing it up to 62 for a day and slowly bringing it down to lager temps over the next week (my lhbs said to lager at 37). Any suggestions would be great - I have made some really good ales, but would like to get into the lager game, but I don't want to screw this one up. :D

I leave my lagers for 3 weeks and then warm up to d-rest temps. Maybe 2.5 weeks if bubbles really slow.

I'det it set at its fermentation temp for at least two weeks before doing the d rest. My Maibock bubbled for 12 days. I'm not an advocate of checking gravitas multiple times. All you do is increase your risk of infection . Let it ride for 2-2.5 weeks in the mid 50s and the rise up to low 60s for the d rest. Then transfer to lager vessel and take gravity reading then

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You want to do your d-rest BEFORE fermentation is done so you need to check your gravity. No shortcuts, so check your gravity and when you're about 75% done raise the temp

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

http://byo.com/stories/item/303-brewing-science-controlling-diacetyl
http://byo.com/stories/item/2356-diacetyl-techniques

here are some good articles about diacetyl and practical ways to start the rest.

I don't like taking lots of samples. I watch my airlock and also watch the temperature. When fermentation picks up I will notice that the beer temperature increases a few degrees and I have to adjust my controller down a few degrees. When fermentation slows I notice that the temperature of the beer starts to drop. That is usually when I start thinking about doing the rest. Not sure how scientific my approach is but it has worked well for my last two lagers.

If I am using 'WYEAST 2112' California lager yeast of which the ideal fermenting temp according to the mfg's web site is 58-68F and I am fermenting it at room temp now. My issue is that if I leave my fermenter out at room temp (currently fermenting @ 64F) how do I do a rest when it reaches 75%? I tried a swamp cooler w/ only water (no ice) but the temp went down to 45F, which i feel is too low for this yeast.

I up temps when the krausen has largely collapsed, but there is still a little krausen there. I've found that you have to up the temps while fermentation is still going, or the d-rest take a long time to complete. If you do it at the stage I mentioned, then around three days for the rest.

Latest posts

Back