First IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samgilchrist

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at an IPA on my own. I'm curious about how long to leave it in the fermenter (I'm only using a primary) before bottling.

Recipe is as follows:

1lb Crystal 60 Malt (grain)
6lbs Amber DME
1056 American Ale Yeast
Centennial Hops:
1oz at 60
1oz at 45
1oz at 15
1oz at 1
0.5oz dry-hopped at 5-days

Brewed it on 9/28. I just dry hopped it on 10/2. Some folks say 2 weeks, some say 3 weeks.

Also, I'm using a light DME as the bottling sugar. I'm worried it won't be enough.

Thoughts?

I dry hop for 2 weeks, have read the hops get a bit grassy after too much longer.

Just use a priming calculator to make sure you have enough malt extract to properly carb.

We brew mostly IPAs, but are by no means experts. Here's my two cents:

1. If it's a 5gal batch, I'm guessing an OG somewhere from 1.055 to 1.065, you're looking at IBUs in the 60's. A bit weak for my liking, but there are a number of IPAs with that range of IBUs, so no big deal. Will have an EXCELLENT aroma dry-hopping with Centennial.

2. We like a little variety in the hop build to up the complexity, but that's our preference. We generally use at least 3 different varieties. If you only had Centennial, or had to use up some old hops, using just Centennial should still produce a decent IPA.

3. Since you're only going primary, I think your IPA should be done on the 12th. I agree with icanbenchurcat, after too long the hops get grassy tasting. I've done a 3 week dry hop and it wasn't very good. 10 days seems to be our magic number.

For future ipas, id recommend using the lightest extract you can find. Amber dme has crystal malt in it alrrady, so youve basically doubled up on your crystal malts, and your final product may be too sweet. Also, id move your 45 min hop addition to 25 or 20, so you get better flavor from your hops. A 45 min addition only adds bitterness.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know the amber could make it sweeter tasting. I was going for more of an American IPA taste and a friend recommended the amber DME. Also, the 45 minute was really a screw up and was supposed to be a 30 min.

My OG was 1.059. So, I'm in the right range. IBU calculation is around 60.

If I was to send it to secondary, what sort of time frame am I looking at for bottling?

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know the amber could make it sweeter tasting. I was going for more of an American IPA taste and a friend recommended the amber DME. Also, the 45 minute was really a screw up and was supposed to be a 30 min.

My OG was 1.059. So, I'm in the right range. IBU calculation is around 60.

If I was to send it to secondary, what sort of time frame am I looking at for bottling?

Once it's clear, dryhop for 5-7 days and package. I'd bottle sooner, rather than later, for the best hops flavor and aroma.

So, I should have dry-hopped 5-days before bottling and not 5-days after adding to the primary?

Back