First IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayZab

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm going to be brewing my 3rd extract batch next month, and hope to use my own recipe for the first time. I'm trying to brew an american IPA for the summer with citrusy notes and a little piney. Thus hoping to combine centennial, amarillo, and simcoe hops. Below is the recipe I came up with, please critique and let me know if I should change any of the additions?

Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil Size: 4 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067
Bitterness: 61.5 IBUs
Color: 9.6 SRM
ABV%: 6.7 %

7.75 lb light DME
4 oz Crystal 20
4 oz Crystal 40

0.4 oz - Centennial - 60 min
0.4 oz - Centennial - 20 min
0.4 oz - Simcoe - 20 min
0.4 oz - Amarillo - 15 min
0.4 oz - Centennial - 15 min
0.4 oz - Simcoe - 15 min
0.4 oz - Amarillo - 10 min
0.4 oz - Centennial - 10 min
0.4 oz - Simcoe - 10 min
0.4 oz - Amarillo - 5 min
0.4 oz - Centennial - 5 min
0.4 oz - Simcoe - 5 min
0.4 oz - Amarillo - 0 min
0.4 oz - Amarillo - Dry hop for 7 days
0.4 oz - Simcoe - Dry hop for 7 days

Going to use Wyeast 1056.

Thanks!
Ray

This is just me. I would ditch the Crystal 40 and just double the 20. I would also use extra-light DME. I'd do a full 1 oz. at the 60 and move all your 15 & 20 minute stuff to 5 minutes and your last additions to whirlpool. I'd replace your Simcoe with Citra only because you're talking a nice summer drinker and I think Citra is a touch smoother for that. I'd also add .5 pounds of dextrose to dry it out a bit. Adjust your DME to hit a target ABV desired.

I'd use a nice Cali Ale Yeast with a starter.

But yours works as well.....more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Hey all,

I'm going to be brewing my 3rd extract batch next month, and hope to use my own recipe for the first time. I'm trying to brew an american IPA for the summer with citrusy notes and a little piney. Thus hoping to combine centennial, amarillo, and simcoe hops. Below is the recipe I came up with, please critique and let me know if I should change any of the additions?

Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil Size: 4 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067
Bitterness: 61.5 IBUs
Color: 9.6 SRM
ABV%: 6.7 %

7.75 lb light DME
4 oz Crystal 20
4 oz Crystal 40

0.4 oz - Centennial - 60 min
0.4 oz - Centennial - 20 min
0.4 oz - Simcoe - 20 min
0.4 oz - Amarillo - 15 min
0.4 oz - Centennial - 15 min
0.4 oz - Simcoe - 15 min
0.4 oz - Amarillo - 10 min
0.4 oz - Centennial - 10 min
0.4 oz - Simcoe - 10 min
0.4 oz - Amarillo - 5 min
0.4 oz - Centennial - 5 min
0.4 oz - Simcoe - 5 min
0.4 oz - Amarillo - 0 min
0.4 oz - Amarillo - Dry hop for 7 days
0.4 oz - Simcoe - Dry hop for 7 days

Going to use Wyeast 1056.

Thanks!
Ray

Thanks for the help. Part of me trying out an IPA recipe is to better understand the hop additions. I've been confused by the "book theory" of adding hops between 5 to 20 minutes for flavoring and whirlpool to 5 minutes for aroma. So your basically saying to add all hops at 10 mins, 5 mins, and move the flameout addition to whirlpool? Does the 10 min addition then add most of the flavor?

Thanks for the help. Part of me trying out an IPA recipe is to better understand the hop additions. I've been confused by the "book theory" of adding hops between 5 to 20 minutes for flavoring and whirlpool to 5 minutes for aroma. So your basically saying to add all hops at 10 mins, 5 mins, and move the flameout addition to whirlpool? Does the 10 min addition then add most of the flavor?

it really depends on what you like in an IPA really. There is a reason why your battering hops are the first addition and boil for 60 minutes. It pulls all the alpha acids out of the hop. For myself, I like real big tropical hop busts out of my IPA's, west coast style, so I add most all of mine at the end. As for the whirlpool. I'll let the temp in the kettle naturally cool to 180 degrees and then I'll start a whirlpool for 20 minutes while tossing the hops in. Then I chill and move to fermentation. I always get a yeast starter going as well. Helps tons.

Part of me trying out an IPA recipe is to better understand the hop additions. I've been confused by the "book theory" of adding hops between 5 to 20 minutes for flavoring and whirlpool to 5 minutes for aroma.

Flavor and aroma are interconnected. There is no magical spot between 5-20 minutes where flavor is at its greatest. In fact, flavor/aroma is greatest when hops are not subjected to harsh boiling of their delicate oils. This is why the dryhop is the most important part of an IPA, followed closely by the post-boil hopstand.

Base it closer to this and you're set...

Basic Extract American IPA

6.50 Gallon Boil / 5 Gallon Batch
1.064 OG / 1.012-13 FG
6.8% abv
5.65 SRM

57.5%, 4.50 lbs. Briess Golden Light DME or Muntons Extra Light or Light DME (added at boil start)
31.9%, 2.50 lbs. Briess Golden Light DME or Muntons Extra Light or Light DME (added at flameout)
6.4%, 0.50 lbs. Corn Sugar (added at flameout)
4.2%, 0.33 lb. Crystal 20L (crushed & steeped separately at 150-155 F for 30 mins, then added to main wort volume)

10 oz. total hops

Boil 60 mins, 1.50 oz. Columbus 17% aa pellet hops, added to full rolling boil
Post-boil hop steep, 30 mins at 150-165 F, 1.50 oz. Simcoe pellet hops
Post-boil hop steep, 30 mins at 150-165 F, 1.00 oz. Centennial pellet hops
Post-boil hop steep, 30 mins at 150-165 F, 1.00 oz. Cascade pellet hops
Dryhop 5 days at 68-70 F, 2.50 oz. Simcoe pellet hops
Dryhop 5 days at 68-70 F, 1.00 oz. Centennial pellet hops
Dryhop 5 days at 68-70 F, 1.00 oz. Cascade pellet hops
Dryhop 5 days at 68-70 F, 0.50 oz. Columbus pellet hops

Safale US-05 dry yeast, fermented at 62-64 F – 81% attenuation

Steep Crystal Malt in 2 quarts of 150-155 F water for 30 minutes. Retain the wort and discard the grain. Simultaneously, bring a covered pot of 6 gallons of plain water to a full rolling boil.

When a boil is reached, remove lid (never using it again), add the steeped crystal wort and 4.5 lbs. of DME. Stir to combine and bring back to a full rolling boil.

When a full rolling boil is reached, add the bittering hop charge. Maintain the boil until the next hop additions and the end of 60 minutes. At this point, add the remaining DME and Corn Sugar.

Cool to 165 F and then add your Whirlpool hops. Allow them to stand within the 150-165 F range for 30 minutes. Proceed to cool down to 60 F.

Aerate and completely oxygenate the cooled wort by vigorously shaking, stirring, and any other means necessary while remaining sanitary. Pitch hydrated yeast into 60 F wort. Seal and store in a cold 58-62 F room or chest cooler (ambient air temps slightly lower than target ferm. temp. is preferred since fermentation releases up to 8-10 F heat as a byproduct.

Ferment at 60-64 F for 8 days then raise temp. to 68-70 F and dryhop for 5 days.

Bottle with priming sugar using a priming calculator like this one - http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Let carbonate for 2-3 weeks at room temp. Refrigerate. Drink.

Latest posts

Back