First homebrew contest.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewer74

Reaction score
So first time throwing my hat in the ring. And I have no idea if i did good or bad. Ultimately I was just looking for objective feedback from people that aren't "friends".

My pale ale scored 32.5 in category 14B with 38 entries.

My chocolate milk stout scored 36.5 in category 21a of 52 entries and was Mini-BOS.

Can anyone help me decipher this stuff?

32.5 36.5

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Those are very respectable scores. I don't have the breakdown, but it means that there were no significant flaws and that they represented the style well.

Midwinter Homebrew Comp?

Yeah - good scores - especially the milk stout. Scoresheets are mailed out this week, so you'l have a much better idea how the judges arrived at the scores when you get them. You did better than I did - My Scottish 80 only scored 32 (didn't place).

Nice work, there.
:mug:

Thanks. Ya, it was the Midwinter Homebrew. Appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to getting the score sheets back.

Here is the score breakdown:

Outstanding (45 - 50): World-class example of style.
Excellent (38 - 44): Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning.
Very Good (30 - 37): Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws.
Good (21 - 29): Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws.
Fair (14 - 20): Off flavors/aromas or major style deficiencies. Unpleasant.
Problematic (00 - 13): Major off flavors and aromas dominate. Hard to drink

Yeah - I consider scores between 30-35 to generally be a good beer. Nothing specifically "wrong" with it, but maybe nothing that totally sets it apart from all the other good beers either. 35-39 I think you are talking about a real fine beer. Not only is there nothing wrong with it, it is a quality example that sets itself apart from the majority of other good entries. So, both of those are good scores.... in really tough categories by the way. That is a TON of entries in a category, so you should be quite pleased and feel especially good about that stout.

Yeah - I consider scores between 30-35 to generally be a good beer. Nothing specifically "wrong" with it, but maybe nothing that totally sets it apart from all the other good beers either. 35-39 I think you are talking about a real fine beer. Not only is there nothing wrong with it, it is a quality example that sets itself apart from the majority of other good entries. So, both of those are good scores.... in really tough categories by the way. That is a TON of entries in a category, so you should be quite pleased and feel especially good about that stout.

Setting it apart is a big part of it, particularly when you're in a well attended competition. In a smaller comp a good beer may stand on it's own for just being a good beer. But in a larger competition there will likely be more very good examples competing for that top spot. At that point, the difference is it's ability to stand out against other good beers.

Setting it apart is a big part of it, particularly when you're in a well attended competition. In a smaller comp a good beer may stand on it's own for just being a good beer. But in a larger competition there will likely be more very good examples competing for that top spot. At that point, the difference is it's ability to stand out against other good beers.

Well said.

My chocolate milk stout scored 36.5 in category 21a of 52 entries and was Mini-BOS.

That's a good score. I took 1st in Dark Lagers with a 37 and 3rd in Baltic Porters with a 36.

Unfortunately my Wee Heavy scored a lowly 25.5. I can't wait to get my score sheets so I can start making adjustments.

Thanks for helping to clarify. I am pretty happy with the stout. It was my 2nd time making a stout and was the first time I have ever made a milk stout and first time working with cocoa nibs and vanilla beans. I set aside a six pack that I am letting age and will open a bottle every 6 months. It was a bigger beer. It started at 1.092 but finished a bit higher than I thought at 1.038 for 7% alcohol. So I'm hoping it cellars well.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back