First Gold/Legacy hop combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
I'm working with a couple hops I've never used before: First Gold and Legacy. I'm going to brew a simple pale ale and ferment 5 gallons with Wyeast 3522 and the other half with Pacman. The Pacman will be dry hopped with 1 oz of each hop variety. Does anyone have any input on these hop varieties? I've thoroughly researched both hops online and know the general descriptors used but some additional anecdotal evidence would be nice. Here is my recipe

17 lbs Canada Malting Pale Ale
1 lb C40

1oz each FG/Leg FWH
1oz each FG/Leg 15 min
1.5 oz each FG/Leg 5 min
1.5 oz each FG/Leg WP 20 minutes (at flameout I will drop temp to 180 and Whirlpool)

Pacman

10 Gallons
OG 1.046
IBU 41

So, am I crazy? Is there anything special I should know about either hop? Thanks in advance.

Hi!

I think I'd change the yeast to something with a bit more esters or character than Pacman.

I've never seen Legacy around but I've had lots of commercial beers with First Gold. It's not as fruity or dank as American hops. It has a mix of spice, herbal and orange rind flavours. It's less marmalade than EKG, but maybe more orange-juice. It has a tad of generic noble hop spice, and can be a bit woody / herbal. I've mainly had it in pale ales, but I can see it working well in lagers and darker beers. Would be ok for Belgian beers or wheat ales if you want mainly noble hop character with a subtle twist.

From what I just read Legacy seems to have some blackcurrant notes, so I guess it would pair well. I can see it pairing with hops that are bright, zesty, floral or blackcurranty like Brewers Gold, Bramling Cross, Northdown, Saaz, Minstrel.

Thanks guys. I'm going to stick with the plan. That PDF was awesome. From the first gold descriptors it sounds good in a witbier, maybe I will get to that. I've got a little over a pound of each variety so I'm just curious to check them out.
The thing I like about Pacman is how easy it is to work with and it does let hops shine through. Since I want to get a good look at the hops I think it will be good to use on half my yield.

Back