First GF attempt - IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
a friend of mine that loves beer recently was diagnosed with being gluten intolerant. she's running in the Boston Marathon next month and wants nothing more than a good IPA afterwards. this will be my first GF beer, so let me know if you have any advice.

3.5gal batch
OG: 1.06, IBUs: 60ish

3.3lbs Sorghum LME
2.75lbs buckwheat
0.75lbs toasted buckwheat
0.25lbs sucrose
1tsp amylase enzyme

0.25oz each 4 C's (cascade, centennial, citra, columbus) @30
0.25oz each @15
0.5oz each @0
0.5oz each @dry hop

S-05 yeast

Good luck to your friend. You're brewing definitely my favourite type of beer (love hops), and I'm sure this will go down very well.

Only advice is to "waft" the toasted grains. i.e. let them sit in a paper bag for three weeks so as to disappate off flavours.

i actually found some toasted buckwheat at the store so it should be all set to go.

i see alot of GF beers with malto-dextrin, is the body that poor without it?

I use 4oz of maltodextrin in my brews. When I first started making GF beer, someone told me that sorghum was lacking in dextrins compared to barley malts...I've had good luck with it, so I keep using it. I forgot it in one batch, and it was definitely thinner, less head, and seemed to go flat more quickly after pouring.

Only advice is to "waft" the toasted grains. i.e. let them sit in a paper bag for three weeks so as to disappate off flavours.

3 weeks, really? Does it make that big of a difference? I've been just tossing 'em right in, practically fresh out of the oven. I guess that might account for the odd sort of bitterness I noted when my first batch was young...is there a way to dissipate those off flavours more quickly?

I just bottled a similar brew - also my first GF attempt. Check thread "GF IPA, Looking for feedback." It's not bad, but the sorghum taste is coming through loud and clear. Hop bitterness is there, but little hop flavor or aroma. It's better than Redbridge, but an IPA it isn't. I think it will be very refreshing when carbed up though.

On my next attempt, I'm planning on trying 50/50 sorghum/brown rice syrup to see if that offers less sorghum twang. If you try that you'll need to compensate for low FAN in the brown rice syrup.

I used maltodextrine, and the mouthfeel was very good. I wont be able to comment on head retention for a few weeks.

A word of caution on the toasted buckwheat you found at the store - make sure it's clearly labeled as gluten free. If it was grown in fields adjoining wheat or barley, or if it was toasted on equipment that also processes gluten, it may be contaminated. Also, if it was in those self service tubes, don't consider it GF. And think about gluten contamination in your brewing - search the forum, there is a lot of good info on that.

Good luck to your friend - I used to work on Boylston right across from the Pru, so I had a window seat for the finish every year. Watching the runners fight through that final stretch was inspiring.

Also, if it was in those self service tubes, don't consider it GF.

crap, it is from those. i didnt even think about that. guess they'll be going into some random mash down the line instead :(

If you don't mind roasting the buckwheat yourself (your house will smell for days), buy Bob's Red Mill brand - it's certified gluten free.

the amylase is because raw grains lack the enzymes to convert the starches into sugars.

well fortunately my friend said she uses the bulk bins all the time without issue, so i was able to use the grains. unfortunately, i got almost nothing out of the grains :( hopefully they still added enough flavor to reduce the sorghum twang

Back