First ever Yeast Starter/Stir Plate purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheddarhed3

Reaction score
So I think I'm probably overly excited about going for my first yeast starter when I brew my Ace Of Spades Black IPA from Northern Brewer. I've found a stirplate from stirstarters.com that seems to fit the needs of an entry level brewer. Great price and perfect for 1000mL flasks. Can anyone verify that the savings and quality of this product are legit or is it necessary to fork over big bucks for a more expensive stirplate to put the mind at ease. They have a lifetime warranty which to me already makes the purchase worthwhile but any input would be much appreciated by myself and the other noobs here looking to brew great beer. Cheers.:tank:

My wife got me one for my birthday last year now I can't imagine brewing without it. Spend the extra mony on the 2000 mL flask.

Probably one of the best purchases I have made so far too better my brew right behind my kegging system.

I don't know the product, but have read great reviews of this stir plate. Stir plates don't need to be expensive. The warranty is for real.

I would go with at least a 2000ml flask or any other container with a flat bottom. I use a 1.1 gallon plastic Rubbermaid container. Picture is in Photos/Yeast and Fermentation.

I made my own stir plate for about 40 bucks, and got a 2L flask on Amazon for around $20 shipped. I would HIGHLY recommend a 2L flask, as the 1L is just too small.

Man if you have some extra parts here and there and some effort, you should just build one. There are a couple threads on HBT that teach you how to wire it correctly. I had a computer fan, magnet, and some extra wiring. I bought everything else either at radio shack and a thrift store. The power supply can be bought for 99 cents and just buy a cool lookin box as your enclosure. You can be creative and make something for $20 that can sit out and not look out of place or ugly. Mine will spin 5L easy with a nice vortex. I usually step mine up to 5L so that I can pitch what I need and then save the rest for later use. The 5L flask was only $40 on MoreBeer, I believe.

I agree with getting the 2L flask instead of a 1L as well.

If you live near a farmers market I would recommend picking up a 1 gallon jug of cider. For me it's cheaper to buy than the flask, it's larger than most flasks out there so you can make large starters and have a lot of head space, and you get a gallon of juice to boot!

I have the Stirstarter stir plate and it works great.

I would suggest not getting the 1000ml flask but go for the 2000ml flask. Pick up some Fermcap and you can boil right in the flask. Makes starter super easy to do.

+1 to the gallon jug. I've done a 3.75L starter on my small stirstarter with no problems using one. Well, it can be a bit annoying to get it going, but once I did, it went well. I also now always pitch when the starter is at high krausen, and have the whole thing going in about 4 hours.

Thank you all for the input. But as far as the 1000ml flask being too small, is it too small for the average beer? I guess I didn't think that a 5 gallon batch (that's all I'll be doing for the foreseeable future) would need a bigger starter. Again, thanks for all the input. Cheers.

Also, how long would one leave the starter on the stir plate? Overnight or a shorter period of time.

I have only made few starters so by no means an expert. But I will say that all of my brews required a 2L starter per the MrMalty yeast calculator; so I would say spring for the 2000mL flask if you can. I use an old gallon sangria jug.

Also, how long would one leave the starter on the stir plate? Overnight or a shorter period of time.

Typically I leave mine on for about 36hrs. Probably good to go at 24hrs, but no rush. I then put in a fridge for 48hrs so that it's easy to decant.

Hot tip: there have been a few times I've decanted too much of the liquid off to be able to swirl the yeast from the cake back into a slurry. When that happens I just add some of my chilled wort from the kettle to the flask while I'm draining to the fermenter and use that to get the yeast back into a pourable state.

Thank you all for the input. But as far as the 1000ml flask being too small, is it too small for the average beer? I guess I didn't think that a 5 gallon batch (that's all I'll be doing for the foreseeable future) would need a bigger starter. Again, thanks for all the input. Cheers.

Here's the thing: you can make a 1L starter in a 2L, you can not make a 2L in a 1L. Unless you plan on making low gravity brews, and I mean decently low, you should just spend the little extra on a 2L.

Say if you look up a online calculator for a starter and it tells you to make a 900ml starter... That is really really high up on the 1L. But barely half full on a 2L. Especially if you plan to boil in your flask like you're able to, that's is a guaranteed troublemaker.

I bought a 2L off the bat and even then I'm still wishing I just bought a 5L one. If I were you I would just buy the bigger one and not regret it

- ISM NRP

I just bought a 2L from NB and I can't imagine having one any smaller. I like the OP just did my first yeast starter on the Ace of Spades kit. However I don't have a stir plate yet. I would just shake the flask periodically. Made a huge difference with this brew. The 1056 with a starter chewed through the 1.068 wort in about 5 days, down to 1.012. Previously I've had issues with my first 4-5 brews getting proper attenuation.

I'm sold - starters are definitely the way to go. Even if you don't have a stir plate. Get the 2L beaker and put it on the kitchen counter and shake it every time you walk by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A lot of people mention being able to boil right in the flask. For those of us with an electric range I assume that is not an option. Based on what I have read in here it is very much NOT recommended to boil in the flask on coiled electric ranges.

Let me ask this though, would it be possible to boil this in a water bath?

I tried the shake and swirl method you're using and did have good results. I work from home and had the opportunity to stir things up more than most. It does work, but honestly do yourself a huge favor and get a stir plate. The first time you do a starter on one you will be shocked at how much more yeast you get in 24-36 hours. When you turn it off its like a snow globe blizzard. The colonies are big and fat and healthy looking.

It does not stop there. You will get a very noticeable difference on your fermentation. I did the same American Pale Ale using WLP 0051. The OG was 1.063. With shake and stir I got activity in about 12 hours and did not hit FG for 9 days. With the stir plate I got activity in 3 hours and hit FG in 4 days.

I built this one. $12 of amazon and another $4 for magnets if you don't have one laying around. For that price there is no excuse to not do it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-shamelessly-cheap-12-diy-stir-plate-338695/

A lot of people mention being able to boil right in the flask. For those of us with an electric range I assume that is not an option. Based on what I have read in here it is very much NOT recommended to boil in the flask on coiled electric ranges.

Let me ask this though, would it be possible to boil this in a water bath?

Yes but it takes forever. I just use a stainless pot and funnel it into a sanitized flask. Then cool the flask.

I have been told your Erlenmeyer flask will eventually fail if you put it straight on electric coils. Sounds like a good way to get 3rd degree burns.

I have heard those stirplates are good. Put me among those that say to forget the 1L flask. Get the 2 liter one.

If you can access an old computer you can use the fan and magnets out of a hard drive. Add a potentiometer from Radio Shack and build your own. I spent $7.40.

Boiling in the flask on a coil electric can cause a problem because it gets hotter directly on the coil and cooler where it does not touch. There are devises to distribute the heat evenly. Or you can heat in a water bath.

I have a glass top and did a few directly in the flask. I then found it easier to boil in a pot then transfer into the flask.

I just bought a 2L from NB and I can't imagine having one any smaller. I like the OP just did my first yeast starter on the Ace of Spades kit. However I don't have a stir plate yet. I would just shake the flask periodically. Made a huge difference with this brew. The 1056 with a starter chewed through the 1.068 wort in about 5 days, down to 1.012. Previously I've had issues with my first 4-5 brews getting proper attenuation.

I'm sold - starters are definitely the way to go. Even if you don't have a stir plate. Get the 2L beaker and put it on the kitchen counter and shake it every time you walk by it.

The Ace of Spades is actually my next brew so this was extremely helpful. Thanks for the info. Cheers.:mug:

2L flask only. I have no idea why big shops like NB sell the 1L kits. Simple test, go to Mr. Malty or your brewing software's yeast pitch calculator and put in a beer with even a smallish OG like 1046 for example, 5.5 gallons of beer and poof... already outgrown the 1 liter flask. You need some room in those things also, especially if you boil in them.

Just ordered the StirStarter plate off of Bell's General Store. 58 bucks with 2L flask. Throw in a military discount as well, can't really beat the price. Thanks again folks for all the info. Cheers.

Back