First effort at partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBear

Reaction score
I hope this is in the right place... I am about to embark on my first partial with an ESB, and wanted to make sure I am about to to do this correctly. Not sure why I am nervous, but I am! Probably because I have been away for awhile and have derived this untried recipe from a number of sources.

To start, I will do a 60 minute steep, mashout and sparge, followed by a 60 minute boil with late extract. I have posted the entire recipe and steps for clarity. Do the experts see any issues? Thanks?

Red Hook style ESB - 5 gallon yield

Fermentables
6 lb NB Maris Otter Syrup
1 lb English Extra Dark Crystal
.5 lb Belgian Biscuit Malt
.5 lb. Briess Carapils

Hops
1.0 oz US Fuggles (60 min)
.50 oz US Tettnang (30 min)
1.0 oz US Fuggles (20 min)
.50 oz US Tettnang (5 min)
Whirlfloc tablet added at 45 minutes
.50 oz Cluster dry hop in primary
.25 oz Cluster dry hop in secondary

Yeast
Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale Yeast
The Boil
1. Steep grains in 6 quarts of water at 155º F for 60 minutes, raise temperature to 170º F, then strain and sparge with 2 quarts of hot water.
2. Add an additional 1.0 gallons of water, stir in 3 lb extract and bring to a boil.
3. At the beginning of the boil, add the first hops.
4. Boil for 30 minutes then add the second hops.
5. Boil for additional 10 minutes then add the third hops.
6. Boil for additional 5 minutes then add Whirlfloc tablet and remaing 3 lb of extract.
7. Boil for an additional 10 minutes and add fourth hops.
8. Boil for 5 more minutes.
9. After a 60-minute total boil, cool the wort to 63º-68º F. Transfer wort to fermenter and top to 5g.

Fermentation
1. After transfer to primary fermenter, allow the wort temperature to cool to approx. 63º F. Pitch the yeast. Shake fermenter for 40 secs.
2. After 3 or 4 days, add the first dry hops segment.
3. Continue to ferment at 55-65 º F for a total of one week to 10 days.
4. Rack wort to secondary fermenter and add the second dry hop segment. Continue to ferment for an additional 10 days to two weeks.

Bottling
1. Rack beer to bottling bucket.
2. Boil 2 cups water with 5 oz. corn sugar for 10 minutes.
3. Allow to cool, then add to bottling bucket.
4. Bottle beer and age 2-4 weeks.

Predicted Characteristics

Initial Gravity: 1.054
IBU: 28 w/o regards to late extract
Color: 16º
Final Gravity: 1.014
Al by Vol: 5.3%
Al by Wt: 4.1%

Back