First brews..questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbksv

Reaction score
So I just started brewing..extract and have a stout, blonde ale, and a hard cider fermenting. Now...when the directions say ferment for x...bottle and wait for additional x amount of time..if you are kegging and force carbonating can you cut out that time (minus the time needed to properly force carb) or is that additional time in the bottle providing some other benefit than just carbonating the bottles? Basically I decided not to even mess with the bottles and just go the keg route and was wondering what kind of time that will buy me?

once your final gravity stays where it is suppose to be based on recipe (or just doesn't change) you can go to bottling or kegging. If you are force carbing, your timing will depend on your method [set it and forget it, shake/roll, etc]

I have gone grain to glass (kegging) in as little as 10 days. It was a low gravity english bitter. Timing all depends on what kind of beer you are making.

I would argue that time in the bottle/keg is necessary for flavor reasons as well. John Kimmich (Alchemist) has said that each time beer is moved to a different vessel it needs time to adjust to it's new environment. However, the amount of time is subjective...you might enjoy super "green" beer....

....agree to disagree :mug: I am not saying rush things, but the whole 2 weeks here and then 2 weeks there is all just subjective. I think it really comes down to what you want to accomplish flavor profile and what ingredients were used. For example, if I used a higher than normal amount of dark roasted malts..I may choose to let it sit longer for the harshness to die down.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=498517

I tend to lean towards Yooper's school of thought (post #2).

Yeah...the times that kits have in their instructions are just general rules of thumb, so to speak. Timing of everything changes by beer type and alcohol content, etc. For me, I let every beer I make sit in primary for 3 weeks at least, sometimes 4. That way I know for sure it's fermented properly, and it maybe even got some extra conditioning time. I don't use a secondary vessel much, so that's part of my waiting period there.

I've had beers ferment completely in 72 hours. I've also had others that take a full 2 weeks. It just all depends. Following the rule of thumb timelines aren't a bad idea though, especially for new brewers. As you gain experience, you'll get used to the flexibility of the timing and learn which beers and yeasts need which amount of time. :)

Since you are just starting out, I would plan to keep your beer in primary for 3-weeks. Once bottled you should be carbonated within a couple more weeks. To this day I plan on a 6-week window from brew day to when I can expect my beer to be glass ready. As others have said it can be less or more time depending on the recipe, but patience is rewarded in this hobby.

once your final gravity stays where it is suppose to be based on recipe (or just doesn't change) you can go to bottling or kegging. If you are force carbing, your timing will depend on your method [set it and forget it, shake/roll, etc]

I have gone grain to glass (kegging) in as little as 10 days. It was a low gravity english bitter. Timing all depends on what kind of beer you are making.

I agree with you I had a Session IPA that I did 7 days grain to glass (keg).. that's really pushing it but boy was it fresh and hoppy..

Since you are just starting out, I would plan to keep your beer in primary for 3-weeks. Once bottled you should be carbonated within a couple more weeks. To this day I plan on a 6-week window from brew day to when I can expect my beer to be glass ready. As others have said it can be less or more time depending on the recipe, but patience is rewarded in this hobby.

When I started out there seemed to be 2 schools of thought. 1) one week primary, one week secondary and 2-3 weeks bottle conditioning. 2) Primary for 4-6 weeks then 3 weeks bottle conditioning.

I picked a middle route and did 3 weeks primary and 2 weeks bottle conditioning. I found that all my beers tasted better at 3 weeks bottle conditioning.

I have gone to 2 weeks primary then packaging. I think you could go shorter. Reach FG, 5-7 days, and another day or two to let the yeast finish everything. I won't hover over my beer to determine exactly when FG is reached, so at 2 weeks It should be finished.

Aging, I feel is determined by style. IPAs and APAs and other low alcohol light beers are ready quite soon and best drunk fresh. I have made a few high gravity dark beers that were best at 6 months to a year later. One didn't start to degrade until over 2 1/2 years old.

Well...we will see how it goes. I just took the first batch (the stout started 12/18) and started the cold crash with gelatin...and then I will throw it in the keg

Latest posts

Back