First Brew! - Partial Mash Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theshoe82

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all.

I have been lurking here for months after I got rid of the Mr. Beer kit and received a wonderful deluxe NB starter kit for christmas.

Brewed my first beer last week: Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber brown ale

Attached is a pic.

I had one minor issue and I am curious what you all think the effect will be. The kit came with Wyeast Northwest 1332 liquid yeast, but being that I brewed last week and the kit was from xmas, the yeast was 'born on' November 15, 2010. Needless to say the smack pack didnt puff up much, and I got nervous and pitched the recommended dry yeast, Danstar Windsor Ale yeast as well as the liquid stuff. In the pic you can see it fermented vigorously at 64 degrees or so (air temp).

Any side effects to pitching that much / 2 different types of yeast?

Thanks for any and all help!

-DC

100_0925.jpg

One yeast may win out and become dominant. You could have made a starter with the liquid, but if it's your first time, i can see skipping that.

BTW, I think this kit is technically Extract+Specialty Grains, not Partial Mash.

You'll be fine and so will the beer. Give it about three weeks, bottle, and then another three weeks and you'll be happy.

Back