First brew, but ferm bucket is not airtight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veronis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to brewing beer. I'm really glad to have found this forum - very informative posts. I've learned a ton already, and I'm already stockpiling recipes. EdWort's Apfelwein sounds awesome.

I got a brewing starter kit and an extract kit last week knowing nothing about homebrewing, so sorry if I misuse any terms.

The fermentation bucket has an air leak so the airlock is idle. I'm pretty sure it's a faulty proprietary gasket...it looks like it's cut crooked.

What should I do differently, if anything, since I don't have an airtight seal?

And what's the floating stuff? Is that yeast? Krausen? It doesn't look like any pics I've seen.

I have not contacted Midwest yet. I just noticed the air leak tonight.

Lastly, just a note - when I returned the lid, the airlock tossed a bubble every 1-2 seconds until the Star San I wiped all over the gasket evaporated. Now it's idle again.

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

The floating stuff is the remnants of your krausen. It will drop out.

Don't worry about your lid not being airtight. You don't need to do anything different. Your beer will be fine.

Back