First Brew advice/comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
Me and a couple buddies done our first partial mash/extract brew (Witbier) last week and seems like everything went well up to this point. Really just wondering when the optimum time too move over to a secondary would be. Also wondering what you all think about the fermenting pics I've added: color change, krausen, trub etc...
I thought about going to a secondary on Friday 2-6-15, anyone think this is to soon or should there be signs that will tell me when the best time is? I'm a newb so obviously all of your help is appreciated and criticism will be used for helpful construction to improve the next brew!! Thanks

Sample for OG - 1.046
After pitching yeast 1-30-15
Two days in bubbling away 2-1-15
Four days in 2-3-15

It has been fermenting in a consistent 65F room covered with towels

IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

Why secondary at all? A lot of folks just primary for (prox) 3 weeks - until final gravity is stable - and then keg or bottle.

My LBS recommended a secondary and everything I have read has said do a secondary if possible and I thought it would help with the final appearance of the beer. Just another reason why I'm putting it up on here to get your alls opinions. Also we will be kegging this beer instead of bottling.

I have another question about pulling the OG and FG sample...what does everyone do with that sample after the gravity has been checked??

Secondary is not necessary, but it's also perfectly fine to do as long as you're careful. If you move to a secondary, don't do it until the beer has finished fermenting. Don't just pick a random date because you're antsy to futz with the beer. There is no reason at all to rush into secondary, so fight the urge to "do something," and just let it ferment in the primary for a solid 2 weeks minimum before doing anything else.

Most people seem to taste and then dump the hydrometer sample, but I typically pour it back. Technically this might be asking for trouble, but I have never had an issue. I sanitize the hydrometer prior to use and don't let the sample sit around for more than a minute.

When the rapid bubbling slows or stops, only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. It could be 10 days, it could be 2-3 weeks. This is where the hydrometer comes in handy. Take a sample & write down the gravity reading. On the 3rd day past, take another sample & note the reading. If the numbers match, it's done. I usually give it 3-7 days after FG is reached to clean up any by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before packaging.
They yeasties know what to do with little help from us. So be patient & let'em do their thing. The beer will only get better if everything was properly cleaned & sanitized before use.

As has been said, no need to do secondary. But if you do, be sure your secondary is smaller than your primary. You want as little head space as possible in order to keep oxygen out. It looks like you're using a 6 or 6.5 gal carboy for primary. Use a 5 gal for your secondary. Also, transfer (rack) VERY gently to secondary to avoid oxygenation. Obviously, you will also sanitize the $##t out of everything that touches the beer.

I only secondary to age a beer. Everything is done in primary (dry hops etc). Why risk the possible infection or oxidation?

Yup - you will get varying opinions on using a secondary. I do it with all beers - even those I don't dry hop or add fruit to because it frees up your primary to make your next beer and it MIGHT help with clarity. Those who don't claim their beers are very clear too, so I don't know. I just know my beers appear pretty clear to me, though you can use Irish Moss in the boil to help with clarity as well. If you have a secondary, I would do it and just be sure you're careful and sanitary. Watch some youtube videos on how to do it (like Northern Brewer's). Once your gravity is stable over a 3-day window, you're good to rack. I do not pour my gravity samples back in my wort. I've read bad things about that. I drink them.

I racked my first batch (a hefeweizen) to secondary after one week. I'm glad I did because I wanted to learn the process. I sanitized the heck out of everything and thought it worked out reasonably well. I bottled that same batch and it was actually much clearer than I expected but don't have anything but what I drink at the local breweries to compare to. From what I've read on these forums most people say it's unnecessary. I thought it was good because I wanted to have less trub to deal with when I bottled it and this seemed to work. I don't harvest the yeast yet and actually this beer's trub looked quite nasty because of all the hops that made it from the kettle to the primary.

I also have an Irish Red Ale I brewed about 2 1/2 weeks ago that is still in primary and I plan on leaving it there for at least another week before kegging. I have a Plinian Legacy extract fermenting in a glass 6.5 gallon carboy now and plan on dry hopping in primary then racking directly to a keg once it's done (probably 4 weeks total from start to keg).

I think what it boils down to is personal choice, not a hard and fast rule saying you have to but in my opinion it also can't hurt as long as you are sanitary and don't do anything super crazy...

Gotta say I love these forums, best source of information I've found.

Thanks for the information....Im glad this site is available, there is so much knowledge here. Anyone familiar with this kit? Just wondering if the color and krausen looks good....

My second brew was a wit and it looked like a brown ale in the glass...

Your krausen and beer color looks great.

Latest posts

Back