First Belgian concerns, please teach me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovage

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled my first Belgian, and put some in 1 Liter Bottles, and some in 16oz. PET plastic bottles. First it carbed up in 9 days, which seemed really fast to me.
(I squeezed the bottles, they were hard as a rock) After 2 weeks I sampled the partial bottle I had, it tasted great was nicely carbed but had zero head.

So my questions are should I be concerned it carbed so fast, and will the head increase? I don't plan on enjoying these until at least September.

Here is the recipe:
5lb. Pilsner 2Row
1lb. Munich Malt
1lb. Amber Candi sugar (Last 10 Min. of boil)
1oz. Hallertaur Hops (60min)
1 Vial Abbey Ale yeast (WLP 530) no starter
It is a 2 gallon batch.
Mashed at 154
Fermented at 70 degrees for 24 days
OG-1.064
FG-1.008
Thanks for any feed back:ban:

They may carb a little more which will help your head. Otherwise, not much is going to happen to improve your heading- I suggest a nice aggressive pour. If your glass is VERY CLEAN (not washed with a rinse aid) and rinsed well, that will help things the most.

Unless you introduced bad detergents, your head retention happened on brew day. Try lowering your mash temp two degrees for the next batch, or add in some wheat. That'll help a lot.

daksin said:
They may carb a little more which will help your head. Otherwise, not much is going to happen to improve your heading- I suggest a nice aggressive pour. If your glass is VERY CLEAN (not washed with a rinse aid) and rinsed well, that will help things the most.

Update--- After a few more weeks conditioning and carbing up my Belgian does have a decent head when poured. It disapates quickly but it's good enough for me.

Back