First Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewerone

Reaction score
I'm making a beer from a HME kit that makes four gallons. I started at a 1.072 and its been sitting at a 1.020 for the last 3 days. I was wondering if I need to rack the beer then add some kistosol 40 to it( a clearer) before I bottle. Should I put a clearer in the beer? Will that affect my yeast? How much sugar should go into a 16 oz bottle for carbonation.

I'm making a beer from a HME kit that makes four gallons. I started at a 1.072 and its been sitting at a 1.020 for the last 3 days.
That seems a bit high, given the OG. What style was this kit for?

I was wondering if I need to rack the beer then add some kistosol 40 to it( a clearer) before I bottle. Should I put a clearer in the beer?

Again, that depends on the style; there's little point in clarifying a stout, after all. If it supposed to be a lighter colored beer, then you might want to, though frankly it is unlikely to be necessary. Mind you, I know of Kitosol 40 mainly as a fining for wine; I don't know how well it would work in beer.

Will that affect my yeast?

Not as far as I am aware. It may make it floc out faster.

How much sugar should go into a 16 oz bottle for carbonation.

To be honest, unless you are using carbonation drops, it is generally better to add a sterilized sugar solution a bottling bucket, then rack the beer into the bottling bucket and let it mix with the whole batch, than it is to add sugar to each bottle individually. Not only is easier than measuring out tiny amounts of sugar for each bottle, it makes for a more consistent conditioning. How much you would need will depend on the style of beer, once again, but usually for four US gallons it would be in the 2.5 to 3.5 ounce range.

How long was it in primary? I usually leave mine in primary for three weeks then bottle from there. I batch prime with 2 cups of water boiled with 4.5 oz corn sugar for 5 gallons added to the bottling bucket before racking the beer. Adding the sugar in each bottle can lead to different carb levels from bottle to bottle.

staticmap

You can always use this http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ to figure out how much priming sugar.

>>>To be honest, unless you are using carbonation drops, it is generally better to add a sterilized sugar solution a bottling bucket, then rack the beer into the bottling bucket and let it mix with the whole batch, than it is to add sugar to each bottle individually.

Unless, of course, you don't *have* a bottling bucket and siphon...

Back