First batches from our own grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
We planted six grape vines over the last four years; five table grapes and a Golden Muscat. Our Vanessa and the Muscat produced enough grapes this year to make small batches of wine. To keep it simple, we just pressed the grapes, rather than doing the primary on the skins. Although we pressed a full 5-gallon load of each, the Muscat produced almost 2 gallons of juice and the Vanessa only 2 quarts!

So, we pressed some elderberries into the Vanessa and added a little of the Muscat juice. Both batches are around 1.074, which tells me we waited too long to pick and press. I don't plan on adding any sugar, so the final product should be around 10%.

The press is the first major hobby purchase I've made in 6 years, but I suspect that next year I'll buy a refractometer.

In other news, after almost ten years of service, the freezer for my first keggerator died. Since the taps are all in the collar and the collar is a friction fit, swapping in a new freezer should be a snap.

Hi David! Nice to "see" you again. Hope you and K are doing well.

Winemaking is as addictive as brewing, and maybe more so since you're growing the grapes. Make sure you let us know how it comes out!

Latest posts

Back