First Batch Strawberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psywar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone!

I have been homebrewing for quite some time but I have never made any wine yet.
I am actually not a huge fan of it myself, but I wanted to give it a go and since I was the one who was making it I was hoping I could make it so I could/would enjoy it.

I actually made a rookie mistake today making my wine.
I accidentally pitched my yeast Lalvin ICV - D-47 White Wine Yeast at 84F.

My thermometer batteries died and I was like.. "It's probably good."

I got it hooked up to my temp controller and set it to 65F and waited for it to read what it was currently sitting at and I noticed it was 84.5F

Do you think this will produce any off flavours or kill my yeast?
I think the device I use to keep things temp controlled will have this down to 65F in about 12 hours.

Thoughts?

I have another question as well.

My thought was after this was done fermenting in primary I was going to rack this over to secondary and I wanted to put something in it to stop the yeast from eating the sugar.
I was going to rack it on 2 bags of strawberries and maybe another lb of sugar to sweeten it up a bit.

Let it sit on that for a month or so and then re-rack it once more and let it age for a bit or possibly start drinking it.

I was going to actually carbonate some of this in my kegerator and turn it into a Sparkling Wine just because I tend to like more bubbly type things.

Back