first batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trek87654

Reaction score
so i'm working on my first brew. it's a pale ale and i'm only using a primary and it's been in there for 3 days. after pitching the yeast sunday evening i got a nice foamy head that appeared the next morning. its been a couple of days and now the head is gone and the its just a very clowdy brown brew with no foam.

Is it normal for the head to go away like that after a couple days? I plan on leaving it in the carboy for about 10 days (asuming i get a constant hydrometer reading the last 3 days)

Just want to make sure this is all normal and i'm headed in the right direction as i have nobody to ask and nothing to compare to. Thanks !

Perfectly normal. Sounds like everything's going fine.

Soemtimes the krausen ("nice foamy head") sticks around for the whole primary fermentation, other times it diappears in a couple days.

Yep.

I would wait 7-10 days, take a reading, wait a few more and take a second reading. At that little of time, extra time in the fermentor can only help. It is probably worth writing down your impressions of the taste when you take the readings too. I will help you spot "green beer" in later batches so you don't freak out over off flavor that went away the last time you brewed.

Latest posts

Back