First batch, have a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevetree

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry about the noob questions, but I'm having a hard time finding answers to these specific questions. First of all, how much sugar should you use to prime one gallon for carbonating? Second question, how cold does it need to be to cold crash? I was hoping to turn the temp up in my extra freezer to achieve this. Oh, and if I cold crash, do I have to keep it cold to prevent the yeast from re-activating and creating bottle bombs? Thanks in advance!

stevetree said:
Hi all, sorry about the noob questions, but I'm having a hard time finding answers to these specific questions. First of all, how much sugar should you use to prime one gallon for carbonating? Second question, how cold does it need to be to cold crash? I was hoping to turn the temp up in my extra freezer to achieve this. Oh, and if I cold crash, do I have to keep it cold to prevent the yeast from re-activating and creating bottle bombs? Thanks in advance!

1: the rule of thumb is 1 oz per 1 gallon. There are priming calculators online (Northerner Brewer for one) to get exact

2: 34-40 degrees F

3: I would hope you let the beer ferment out to completion so you don't have to worry about this. If you didn't, keeping it cold will keep it from bombing but will also keep it from carbing.

krduckman said:
1: the rule of thumb is 1 oz per 1 gallon. There are priming calculators online (Northerner Brewer for one) to get exact

2: 34-40 degrees F

3: I would hope you let the beer ferment out to completion so you don't have to worry about this. If you didn't, keeping it cold will keep it from bombing but will also keep it from carbing.

Edit: just realized you were talking about cider. Not sure if this is correct above. I've never made cider. It is accurate for beer.

Thank you krduckman, a lot of people say to prime cider just like you would do for beer, so your answer was exactly what I needed!

Latest posts

Back