First batch fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobE

Reaction score
This is the third day of fermentation of my first 5 gal extract batch. Yesterday the airlock was bubbling quite a bit but it seems to have died down a lot already. Is it normal for it to calm down so much by day 3?

Definitely can be that way. Also, don't forget that a stopped airlock doesn't mean that fermentation is complete. A lot of us typically leave the beer in primary for a month before doing anything else to it.

To verify if fermentation is complete, make sure you take another gravity reading with your hydrometer/refractometer. This will be your best indicator of fermentation progress.

Depending on the starting gravity, slowed fermentation by day 3 is pretty normal. As Haputanlas mentioned, you want to rely on refractometer/hydrometer readings to be sure you're finishing fermentation before bottling. That said, you can certainly benefit from allowing additional time in the fermenter to let the yeast do their work. As long as you do your due diligence in cleaning and sanitizing and maintaining good temperature control, the extended fermentation allows the yeast to add nuances over time that you just don't get in a beer that you bottle ASAP.

Definitely can be that way. Also, don't forget that a stopped airlock doesn't mean that fermentation is complete. A lot of us typically leave the beer in primary for a month before doing anything else to it.

To verify if fermentation is complete, make sure you take another gravity reading with your hydrometer/refractometer. This will be your best indicator of fermentation progress.

+162! :mug: many times a healthy fermentation will start to slow after 3 or 4 days, so chances are it's a good sign. i definitely second using your hydrometer to confirm FG and to leave it be for awhile longer after FG is stable. i generally primary my beers for 2-4 weeks depending on the brew. :mug:

Back