First batch done.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VisaliaIPA

Reaction score
Well got my first batch finished and yes I'm hooked. All in all it went well with only a few minor hiccups.

My O.G. Reading was 1.050 and put 5 gallons in the fermenter. Now have to wait for the yeast to do their thing......

Thanks to the forums for all the info, support and encouragement........

0F429151-D18B-4A35-8887-9360C83F1854.jpg

Congrats! Now comes the hard part: Patience.

Also, do you have another bucket in your kit, without a spigot? Looks like you are fermenting in a bottling bucket (with spigot). No big deal...that's recoverable.

Congrats on your first batch! Your bucket appears to be at least a 6.5 gallon bucket, leaving enough space for the foaming during fermentation, so unless you have a leak in the spigot, I would think that you're fine using that bucket for fermenting. I've thought about fermenting in my bottling bucket, so that I can bottle directly from it and not have to rack the brew to another bucket. I don't do secondary fermentation. I just leave it in primary for an extra week, then rack to my bottling bucket and bottle. So if the fermenter bucket had a spigot, it would save the step of racking to the bottling bucket. The only issue I could see is if the yeast layer became higher than the spigot, and then you'd be draining the yeast into the bottles. I've only been brewing for 9 months, so I might be missing something. Enjoy your new obsession!

Both buckets have spigots........it's a "siphon less" design so I can just rack to the bottling bucket with some tubing and a hose. Then bottle using the bottling wand.

Back