First batch and I've got some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscipleofDionysus

Reaction score
Hey all, I just brewed my first batch of beer last night and I've been somewhat freaking out ever since. Fermentor is bubbling along nicely and everything but I had some questions as to whether or not this batch will be ruined or just not that great. When I was making the wort I boiled the hops before the malt and did the hour long boil, forgetting that it is supposed to be the other way around. So then to compensate I boiled the malt, hops, and grain water for ~45 min. By that time it seemed like a good amount had evaporated and the kettle wasn't boiling up at all. Also, all of the liquid in the right ventricle of the airlock keeps going all the way to the left ventricle, just wondering if this matters at all. Will any of these factors break my batch? Thanks for the feedback! :mug:

As long as you added back the appropriate amount of water to bring it to the final point you should be fine.

And if your using a S type airlock, the liquid should get pushed to the exit side, and the gas in the side closest to the input into the carboy, with the bubbles coming up through the liquid on their way out.

Nope, not too late, just be sure to boil the water for 20 mins first, and cool it down before adding it.

As for the beer, you probably extracted a bit too much hop oil, so it will be more bitter than expected, that will fade with time though, so if it's too bitter when you first try it, just let it sit in the bottles another month or so.

If you post the recipe/ingredients we'll be able to help you more.

Also, for future batches, it didn't matter when you add the malt extract, as long as it resolves, a lot of guys prefer to add it at the last few minutes because LME has a tendency to darken easily when it's boiled. The hops do matter though, especially if your recipe calls for hops mid boil and at the end of the boil.

Latest posts

Back