First attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbrew12

Reaction score
Hey all. I got my first batch fermenting right now. Went out and found a 22 qt brew pot for like $50 ish that worked really well. I just started with one of the recipe kits and they recommended the porter as their best recipe and, since I'm a big fan of porters, I went with it. I hope it turns out ok!

Good luck! I think a Porter is not a bad way to start.

Now comes the hard part.............patience.:D

Pez.

Would that happen to have been a 22 quart stock pot from Wal-Mart? If it is, it is a great pot for brewing. Well worth the $50.

Oh, congrats on the first batch.

It def would be that one haha! It had the thicker bottom which I figured would help with heat distribution and the such. Thanks for the luck. I think I'll need it. The kit just came with the stuff, no instructions or anything, so I just went with the steps I've found researching and hope the time and everything was right that I used for each step

+1 on the 22 quart pot from Wal-Mart.

I noticed the design has changed a bit since I got mine just over two years ago, but it is still solidly made with an aluminum-clad bottom. This feature is important if you are brewing on electric coils like I do and allows my to bring 4 gallons easily to a rolling boil on the kitchen range.

I end up topping off a couple of times throughout the boil to keep me at the 4 gallon mark with water heated in the microwave to boiling.

Pez.

Ya I have an electric stove but it's the ones where the heat pulsates sorta. It kept it at a rolling boil perfectly the entire time. Never adjusted. I just got home from work and HOLY COW the fermentation has kicked it into high gear. I am SOOOO happy I went with a carboy as a primary fermenter. I just hope I don't do something stupid when I transfer it to the secondary fermenter ><

Hope your porter turns out great. It is also my favorite style of brew. Still trying to perfect a Vanilla Porter recipe.

NRS

congrats on your first brew! I just started a few weeks ago, and like one of the other posters said the hardest part is patience! (still trying to get that part down!)
anyway, welcome to the obsession... err, I mean hobby. :D

Hahahaha! Ya, I have found myself running downstairs to see the fermentation every morning and every day first thing when I get off work. Kinda funny cuz it's basically a dark liquid with bubbles on top but still somehow fascinating :)

Hahahaha! Ya, I have found myself running downstairs to see the fermentation every morning and every day first thing when I get off work. Kinda funny cuz it's basically a dark liquid with bubbles on top but still somehow fascinating :)

I'm about 1.5 years and 12 batches of beer into the hobby and I still do exactly what you describe. It honestly never gets old observing the process.

:rockin:

Newbrew12 said:
O man tomorrow it goes to the secondary. Nervous :/

Just leave it in primary for another couple of weeks. Most don't secondary unless lagering, dry hopping or adding fruit.

I used to secondary everything until I tried a batch without it, and haven't used a secondary since. The beer will clear just as well in the primary.

my local w. mart doent have a pot that big. grrrrrrr
porter or any brown ale is a great 1st brew. very forgiving styles to brew

+1 on no secondary
leave it in primary. i only rack to secondary if im adding extras (fruit, oak, etc..) or if its a high gravity and needs more than 4 weeks to finish.

racking is just an xtra step you can screw up. bacteria or oxidation.

leave it sit and relax. make your secondary another primary and brew 2mar instead of racking..

brewing beats racking anyday

Back