First All-Grainer here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenArrow

Reaction score
I'm going to be ordering some raw ingredients for the first time. All my previous batches have been extract kits and where they have turned out ok I really feel like I'm not getting the FULL homebrewers experience unless I start from scratch. What I want to know is what are the best hop/malt combos to experiment with? I know technically you could mix any but that makes it a bit overwhelming and I want to find a good recipe to build on. Please and Thank you for any ideas or advice

That's the beauty of this hobby - the endless combinations of hops/malt/yeast. I suggest looking at recipes in the recipe database, specifically a style you like to drink, and find a recipe that jumps out to you. After you've brewed it and tasted it, you can evaluate it for changes you'd like to make and experiment from there. There are plenty of amazing recipes out there. My first all-grain beer was a Blue Moon clone. After that first beer, it's been rare that I actually repeat a beer a second time; there is always something to tinker with. Good luck and have fun!

I do 3 types of beer:

100% Maris Otter + Hops (my IPAs)
20% Maris Otter + 80% Pils + Hops (my light beers)
80% Maris + 20% various darks etc. + hops (my Porters)

So I have a sack of Maris, sack of Pils, and various bittering/aroma hops and kind of make it all up from there

I have all but replaced most of the 2 row in my recipes with Maris Otter years ago. I do keep MO, Munich, Vienna and Golden Promise and 2 row along with crystal 20 and 60 and from that, I can build most of the recipes I do on rotation. If I am making a stout, porter or Schwarzbier I just head to the LHS to get the additional grains.

I would suggest following a proven recipe for the first few. After you have gotten the basics of procedure down you can experiment. I started by altering recipes. Something like taking a pale ale and using some rye. After you learn what the different malt and hop combos do you can formulate your own unique recipes.

Back